January 14, 2013
From the Infection Control Department at Portsmouth Regional Hospital
Effective: Monday, January 14, 2013
In response to the high level of influenza in the community, Portsmouth Regional Hospital is taking extra measures to limit the spread of seasonal influenza virus. These measures include:
- Individuals under the age of 12 will be restricted from all areas of the hospital unless being treated as a patient. Exception – healthy siblings of newborns on the Maternal Child Health Unit.
- Any visitor with respiratory or flu-like illness should refrain from visiting any patient care unit and should leave the premises.
- Visitors to the Intensive Care Unit, and Maternal Health Unit will be required to check in at the nurses’ station for active symptom screening before proceeding with visit.
- On the Maternal Health Unit, visitors are limited to the parents, significant other of the mother, siblings and grandparents of the newborn.
- Ill individuals will be excluded from Maternal Health tours.
- Individuals are discouraged from visiting patients with flu-like symptoms. If visitation is necessary, only one visitor at a time will be allowed. Visitor will be required to wear a mask and practice hand hygiene and follow any other isolation precaution requirements.
- Adult patients who are here for outpatient tests, treatments, or procedures are strongly discouraged from bringing young children. If no other arrangements can be made, parents of ill children should reschedule the visit.
- If the influenza pandemic warrants further limitations, visiting hours may be restricted at the discretion of the hospital.
- Limited exceptions for special circumstance visitations will be made on a case-by-case basis and will be determined at the discretion of the healthcare provider.