You have a unique medical history. Therefore, it is essential to talk with your doctor about your personal risk factors and/or experience with chlamydia. By talking openly and regularly with your doctor, you can take an active role in your care.
General Tips for Gathering Information
Here are some tips that will make it easier for you to talk to your doctor:
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and help think of questions to ask your doctor.
- Write out your questions ahead of time, so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you get, and make sure you understand what you are hearing. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask where you can find more information about what you are discussing. You have a right to know.
Specific Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- What is my diagnosis?
- How serious is my condition?
- Do I have other conditions that might interact unfavorably with this condition?
- Based on my medical history and lifestyle, am I at risk for chlamydial infections?
- How can I prevent them?
- What medications are available to help me?
- How long do I have to take medications?
- What are the benefits/side effects of these medications?
- Will these medications interact with other medications, over-the-counter products, or dietary or herbal supplements I am already taking for other conditions?
- What time of day should I take my medications?
- Is timing of meals relevant to my medication?
- What should I do if I forget to take a dose?
- Just how risky is my lifestyle?
- By how much will I reduce my risk by using condoms?
- How do I know if I'm using a condom properly?
- Is abstinence the only way I can protect myself?
- What is the best way to go about talking to my partners about exposure?
- Will the treatment cure me, or will there be residual effects?
- How do I know if I am cured?
- How often should I be rechecked by a doctor?
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Marcie L. Sidman, MD
- Review Date: 03/2017 -
- Update Date: 03/15/2015 -