You and your doctor will create an asthma action plan. This is a plan you will follow to help control your asthma and handle asthma attacks. Medications and lifestyle changes are the mainstay of asthma treatment. Alternative and complementary therapies are also under investigation to determine whether they may play a role in treatment, as well.
The goals of treatment are:
- Relieve acute symptoms and prevent complications, such as infections
- Reduce underlying inflammation
- Remove or control triggers
- Prevent future exacerbations
- Not to let asthma interfer with your life
Treatment involves the following:Lifestyle changesMedicationsOther treatmentsAlternative and complementary treatments
At this time, there are no surgical procedures for the treatment of asthma.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD, FAAP
- Review Date: 09/2016 -
- Update Date: 08/14/2015 -