Expertise and safety in anesthesia for adults and children—the core of any top-notch surgery program—is the hallmark of Portsmouth Regional Hospital's surgical services.
Your Best Choice for Anesthesia Services
For more than 20 years, our significant investment in outstanding clinical staff and specialized medical equipment means you're assured of receiving the optimum patient-centered anesthesia care during your surgery. The Seacoast region's largest group of anesthesia professionals makes its home here at Portsmouth. All are board-certified anesthesiologists or certified nurse anesthetists. We lead the region with multiple options for your care and comfort, including:
- General anesthesia
- Spinal and epidural anesthesia
- Ultrasound-guided regional nerve blocks for specific areas of the body
How You Benefit
During any type of surgical procedure at Portsmouth Regional Hospital, your safety and comfort come first. That's why you'll find us taking a leadership role in clinical capabilities that support you while surgery is under way and help speed your recovery. You benefit from:
- Epidurals available for maternity patients 24/7
- Fellowship-trained cardiac anesthesiologists
- Transesophageal echocardiography (TEE), ultrasound imaging of the heart, during surgery
- Pain management options during surgery, such as ultrasound-guided continuous and single-injection nerve blocks, to help improve your care and get you back to your life faster
- Anesthesia support for a variety of procedures, including cardiac catheterization, radiology, MRI and endoscopy
- Our understanding of the special needs of families whose children are having surgery—we invite a parent to accompany your child into the operating room until the child falls asleep
Learn more about our program for pediatric surgery and anesthesia.
Before your procedure, your surgeon's office will arrange for your preoperative interview with a member of our anesthesia team to help us discover any medical conditions that may affect how we administer anesthesia during surgery. Be sure to bring your questions for us, too. We're all on the same team to ensure you receive the best care possible.
You may also visit with one of our anesthesiologists before your surgery—Mon - Fri: 7:30am - 4:00pm—by calling our preop nurse at (603) 433-4837.
Rehabilitation & Recovery
Support your recovery and regain function following surgery by taking advantage of the extensive inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services available to you through Portsmouth Regional Hospital. Our compassionate clinicians, nurses and therapists deliver the expert care you need. Your overall recuperation, return to daily activities and outlook on life can also benefit from our services for pain management and integrative care.