Surgery remains a key component of cancer care and the most common treatment for many patients. In addition to tumor removal, surgery may be recommended to keep a cancer from occurring. Other surgeries may be used for diagnosing cancer, easing pain, relieving side effects, supporting related procedures—such as inserting a chemotherapy port—or reconstructing damaged tissue.
Skilled, Experienced Cancer Surgeons
Portsmouth Regional Hospital's surgical oncology physicians and clinical staff draw on their extensive experience and skill to deliver the best possible results.
You benefit from the range of surgical techniques and options available, our broad experience with complex cases, our high standards of practice and the successful patient outcomes that stem from our multispecialty approach to cancer intervention and lifelong follow-up.
Our team offers you choices across the entire range of cancer care, from minor procedures like removing precancerous colon polyps to performing mastectomies for women at high risk of breast cancer, and we recommend minimally invasive alternatives whenever possible.
Advanced Technology Enhances Cancer Surgery at Portsmouth
The more often surgeons and clinical staff perform a procedure, the more skilled and proficient they become—all to your benefit when you're the one who needs surgery. At Portsmouth Regional Hospital, you'll appreciate the extensive experience of our medical professionals who expertly deploy the advanced technologies that reduce scarring and blood loss during surgery, speed your recovery and help you quickly return to your active life.
Your Cancer Surgery Options
Whether as an inpatient or an outpatient, you and your physician can select from the most up-to-date surgical services for cancer, including:
- Endobronchial and endoscopic ultrasound for precise images and tissue biopsy of complex body systems
- Sentinel node biopsy to determine the extent of cancer in adjacent lymph nodes
- Minimally invasive endoscopic surgical staging (tissue sampling/biopsy) and resection
- The Seacoast region's only photodynamic therapy (PDT) service, a minimally invasive, laser-based treatment for esophageal cancer and Barrett's esophagus
- Tumor-targeted, minimally invasive interventional radiologyprocedures, including:
- Minimally invasive/laparoscopic surgery, including procedures performed by our dedicated gynecologic oncology surgeon, means much smaller incisions than traditional surgery
- Reconstructive surgery and alternatives to total mastectomy
- Neurosurgery, with Brainlab® image guidance for precision and accuracy in addressing brain tumors
Comprehensive Cancer Care
You'll receive comprehensive cancer care before, during and after your surgical procedures at Portsmouth Regional Hospital. Our teams of diverse clinical specialists—using their pooled medical expertise—help manage complex health situations involving multiple body systems, such as your heart, lungs, liver and kidneys. We provide complete laboratory services, as well as critical care and infection monitoring.
Learn more about preparing for surgery at Portsmouth Regional Hospital.
Explore the Cancer Center in our online Health Library.
Rehabilitation & Recovery
Support your recovery and regain function during and after cancer treatment by taking advantage of the extensive outpatient rehabilitation services available to you through Portsmouth Regional Hospital. Your overall recuperation, return to daily activities and outlook on life can also benefit from our services for palliative care, pain management, behavioral health and integrative care.