The gastrointestinal (GI) specialists at Portsmouth Regional Hospital treat a wide range of diseases and conditions of the gastrointestinal tract—the esophagus, stomach, intestines, liver, gallbladder, colon and rectum. Our accurate diagnoses and advanced treatment methods help you feel better, stay disease free and get back to your daily routine as quickly as possible.
Your First Choice for Gastrointestinal Care
Working together in collaborative approaches, our experienced team of dedicated physicians delivers skilled, comprehensive gastrointestinal care using the latest diagnostic and treatment techniques. At Portsmouth Regional Hospital, you're assured of the same top-quality services you expect to find in major urban medical centers—but with a much more personal touch. You'll appreciate our private rooms, comfort measures and individualized care plans, as well as direct lines of communication to your doctor and healthcare team.
Viruses, bacteria, specific foods or stress may cause digestive disorders. Some conditions also show a strong family link. If you regularly experience symptoms such as heartburn, gas, constipation, diarrhea, bleeding, stomach pain, or other concerning symptoms, the gastrointestinal physicians and staff at Portsmouth Regional Hospital can help.
Looking inside the body with an endoscope—a long, thin, flexible fiber-optic tube attached to a tiny high-definition video camera—allows gastroenterologists at Portsmouth Regional Hospital to examine your digestive tract for ulcers, polyps, malignancies and other abnormal tissue.
As endoscopic technology improves, Portsmouth Regional Hospital continues to move forward. Our ongoing investment means you benefit from skilled medical professionals using advanced technology to view your digestive tract in great detail. We can remove suspicious polyps or growths and stop bleeding with cauterization, as well as place a stent to open an obstruction and restore the flow of bile. Our specialized endoscopy procedures include:
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) - Incorporates detailed X-rays during visual inspection of the bile duct, pancreatic duct and gallbladder; may simultaneously remove gallstones from the bile duct and place stents
- Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) - Examines deeper layers of the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, bile duct, pancreas, gallbladder; also used to obtain biopsies for difficult-to-reach lesions
- Upper endoscopy (upper GI; also known as esophagogastroduodenoscopy or EGD) - Explores the esophagus and stomach; used to remove growths, perform biopsies and dilatation of the esophagus or to treat bleeding
- Colonoscopy - Offers diagnosis and treatment for diseases of the colon; also used to remove polyps or cancers, perform biopsies and placement of stents or to treat bleeding
You'll appreciate our private endoscopy suites, which offer a discreet setting for procedures, with amenities such as television, telephone and ample space for family members.
Learn more about endoscopy services at Portsmouth Regional Hospital.
From bringing food and fluids into the body to digesting and absorbing nutrients and eliminating waste, the gastrointestinal tract is one of the most complex organ systems in the human body. Whether you experience the occasional upset stomach or you're faced with a challenging digestive tract condition, the specialists at Portsmouth Regional Hospital spend time with you to understand your specific situation, take a complete medical history, work up a thorough diagnosis and perform the intricate procedures designed to improve your gastrointestinal health. You'll want to talk with our team if you feel you may have any of the following conditions:
- Acid reflux disease, sometimes called heartburn or GERD
- Colitis or proctitis
- Cancer of the esophagus, stomach, colon, bile duct or pancreas
- Colon polyps
- Crohn's disease
- Diseases of the bile ducts, gallbladder or pancreas
- Esophageal disorders, including Barrett's esophagus and strictures
- Gastrointestinal bleeding (upper, lower)
- GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Liver diseases
Portsmouth Regional Hospital offers you access to specialized services and teams of healthcare professionals encompassing multiple disciplines, including:
- Cancer care
- Dietary counseling
- Colonoscopy and colorectal services
- Digestive testing and esophageal studies, including pH reflux monitoring to evaluate for acidic and nonacidic reflux
- Treatment of Barrett's esophagus, including B—RRX-Halo® radiofrequency ablation
- Tests and imaging procedures