Ophthalmology is a medical specialty devoted to the study and care of eyes and vision. A physician with advanced training in eye and vision care is called an ophthalmologist.
Specialists in Advanced Eye Care
The highly trained ophthalmologists affiliated with Portsmouth Regional Hospital provide a full spectrum of eye care, from prescribing glasses and contact lenses to performing eye surgery. Our evidence-based procedures include the use of advanced laser surgery.
While many eye problems are minor, some may lead to permanent vision loss or impairment. Because eye diseases don't always have symptoms, regular checkups are the best defense for you and your family.
See an eye care professional right away if you experience:
- A change in vision
- Dim vision
- The appearance of flashes of light
- Double vision
- Fluid coming from the eye
Eye Conditions We Treat
Our eye and vision care specialists are experienced in the treatment of eye disorders including:
- Cataracts – Clouded lenses
- Glaucoma – Damage to the optic nerve from excess pressure in the eye
- Retinal disorders – Problems with the nerve layer at the back of the eye
- Macular degeneration – Deterioration of the center of the retina (the macula)
- Conjunctivitis – An infection also known as pinkeye