When it comes to your child, you want the best possible medical care from compassionate experts. Portsmouth Regional Hospital's pediatricians, family doctors and hospital medical team dedicate their lives to serving children and their families. Newborns, infants, children and teens up to age 18 receive around-the-clock care for acute and chronic conditions ranging from asthma, concussion, appendicitis and fractures to croup, pneumonia and more.
Your First Choice for Pediatric Care
If your child needs to be admitted to the hospital, you'll appreciate the welcoming, family-centered care at Portsmouth Regional Hospital. In addition to treatment delivered with a caring touch, you and your child benefit from:
- Board-certified physicians and nurses who provide skilled and compassionate care for children
- Access to a wide range of pediatric specialists, including ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctors, infectious disease specialists, allergists, cardiologists, neurologists and many more
- Collaborative working relationships with pediatricians throughout the Portsmouth community
- Our Children's Rehab Center, designed to help children with disabilities maximize their developmental and functional life skills
- Emergency rooms equipped to treat children; includes special software to right-size medication dosing for children
- Guidelines to assist you in preparing for your child's hospital visit
- Skilled surgical care performed by individuals sensitive to the needs of children and parents
Learn more about kids' and teens' health in our online Health Library.
Explore Portsmouth's top-quality, personalized and comfort-focused pregnancy/birth services.
While your child is a patient at Portsmouth Regional Hospital, we care for the health and well-being of your entire family. You're an important part of the medical team—you know your child better than anyone and should understand and agree with any plans for your child's care. Our doctors, nurses and other specialists will communicate and work with you on a daily basis, sharing all test results and treatment plans so you can make informed decisions about what's best for your child. And we'll teach you the skills you need to care for your child—from bathing and changing dressings to using a nebulizer, administering medications and more.
You're Welcome to Stay and Visit
As parents and guardians, you're welcome to visit 24 hours a day, and you're encouraged to stay with your child in the hospital as much as possible. We provide sleeping accommodations for one parent to stay overnight. If you're unable to stay, be sure to let our staff know. Other family members and friends may visit when it's convenient, but just two at a time to allow patients the best opportunity for rest and recovery. Siblings may visit only if they don't have a fever or any communicable diseases. For safety reasons, only Mylar balloons are allowed on the pediatric unit.