Eight out of 10 adults will experience lifestyle-altering back pain at some time in their lives—and 90 percent of those episodes will recur. The specialists who treat spine conditions at Portsmouth Regional Hospital know how to pinpoint the cause of your pain and create a treatment and rehabilitation plan to meet your specific needs.
The Seacoast Region's Experts in Spine Care
Our renowned spine care specialists dedicate themselves to providing the most advanced and effective solutions for people with a wide range of spine-related conditions—from the simplest ache in the neck or back to the most complex spinal deformity or previously unsuccessful surgery.
Emphasizing treatment for the whole person, our spine specialists—including neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons—provide individualized, comprehensive care, whether that means an evaluation, physical therapy program or spine surgery. You benefit from:
- Our collaborative care model encompassing interventional radiology, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, anesthesiology, interventional pain management, rehabilitation and other specialties
- Advanced treatments and spine surgery using minimally invasive surgical techniques—some involving a surgical microscope and Brainlab's stereotactic navigational system to precisely locate and treat or remove small targets inside the body—leading to reduced anesthesia levels, fewer side effects, shorter hospital stays and lower readmission rates
- Customized rehabilitation services to help you resume daily activities as quickly as possible
- Our participation in the national registry for lumbar spine surgery—a collaborative effort of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Neuropoint Alliance and Vanderbilt University—designed to improve outcomes, functional capacity and quality of life for people undergoing spinal surgery
You'll also appreciate our initial conservative, nonsurgical approach—appropriate for most spinal problems—that seeks to resolve symptoms using pain management, physiatry and physical therapy before moving to more invasive interventions.
Whether your back condition results from disease, sports injury, spine tumor or other circumstances, our physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians, along with our sports medicine physicians and therapists, take a hands-on approach to treatment. Surgical and nonsurgical options are available, with the goal of preserving or restoring as much mobility and quality of life as possible in the least amount of time. We help you quickly get back in the game.
At Portsmouth Regional Hospital, you can receive treatment for these and other common spine and neck conditions:
- Bone spurs – Bone growths extending from vertebrae that press against nerves and create radiating pain, tingling and numbness
- Decreased back mobility
- Degenerative disc disease – Wear and tear on shock-absorbing discs between spinal bones (vertebrae) that causes pain and other symptoms
- Herniated discs – Discs in the spine that have ruptured or bulged from their proper place, creating pain by pressing on nerves
- Neck and back pain
- Osteoarthritis – Arthritis of the spine, often associated with aging
- Sciatica – Irritation of the sciatic nerve in the spine
- Spine curvature (scoliosis)
- Spine (vertebral) fracture – Bone breaks or compression fractures often resulting from osteoporosis
- Spine infection
- Spinal stenosis – Narrowing of the spinal canal that can compress the spinal cord and create painful pressure on spinal nerves
- Spinal tumors and cancer (cervical, thoracic, lumbar) – Growths within or surrounding the spinal column or spinal cord
- Sports injuries requiring reconditioning and strengthening
- Traumatic spinal injuries
Learn more about these and other spine conditions in our online Health Library.
Take advantage of the full range of spine services and treatment offered at Portsmouth Regional Hospital:
- Specialized diagnostic techniques, including bone densitometry
- Spine surgery
- Disc replacement (arthroplasty)
- Spinal fusion and instrumentation
- Spine fracture treatments such as kyphoplasty or vertebroplasty, which may be performed by a collaborating interventional radiologist on an outpatient basis
- Nerve stimulation implants for pain management
- Muscle relaxants and injections
- Osteoporosis treatment
Support your recovery and regain function following spine, orthopedic or neurologic injury, damage, tumor or surgery by taking advantage of Portsmouth's extensive inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services. Our compassionate clinicians, nurses and therapists deliver the expert care you need. Your overall recuperation, return to daily activities and outlook on life can also benefit from integrative healing therapies.