|The Thyroid Gland|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Medication during pregnancy, such as radioactive iodine therapy
- Maternal autoimmune disease
- Too much iodine during pregnancy
- Inborn error of metabolism
- Puffy face
- Coarse facial features
- Dull look
- Thick protruding tongue
- Poor feeding
- Choking episodes
- Constipation or reduced stooling
- Jaundice prolonged
- Short stature
- Swollen, protuberant belly button
- Decreased activity
- Sleeps a lot
- Rarely cries or hoarse cry
- Dry brittle hair; low hairline
- Poor muscle tone
- Cool and pale skin
- Goiter (enlarged thyroid)
- Birth defects (eg, heart valve abnormality)
- Poor weight gain due to poor appetite
- Poor growth
- Difficult breathing
- Slow pulse
- Low temperature
- Swollen hands, feet and genitals
- Thyroid scan (technetium)
- Nuclear imaging (scintigraphy) may help determine the cause of congenital hypothyroidism, which can guide treatment and prognosis
- Avoid radioactive iodine treatment or iodine as antiseptic during pregnancy
- Consume enough, but not too much iodine during pregnancy
Genetics Home Reference http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/
American Medical Association http://www.ama-assn.org/
American Thyroid Association http://www.thyroid.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/
Thyroid Foundation of Canada http://www.thyroid.ca/
Bongers-Schokking JJ, Koot HM, Wiersma D. Influence of timing and dose of thyroid hormone replacement on the development in infants with congenital hypothyroidism. J Ped . 2000;136:292-297.
Castanet M, Polak M, Leger J. Familial forms of thyroid dysgenesis. Endocr Dev . 2007;10:15-28.
Congenital hypothyroidism. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated February 3, 2012. Accessed December 31, 2012.
Gruters A, Krude H, Biebermann H. Molecular genetic defects in congenital hypothyroidism. Europ J Endocr . 2004;151:39-44.
LeFranchi SH, Austin J. How should we be treating children with congenital hypothyroidism. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab . 2007;20:559-78.
Thyroid Foundation of America. Congenital hypothyroidism. Thyroid Foundation of America website. Available at: http://www.tsh.org/disorders/pregnancy/newborns.html . Accessed December 31, 2012.
Update of newborn screening and therapy for congenital hypothyroidism. American Academy of Pediatrics. Pediatrics . 2006;117:2290-2303.
- Reviewer: Kim Carmichael, MD
- Review Date: 03/2013 -
- Update Date: 00/31/2013 -