(Broken Rib; Fracture, Rib)
|Multiple Rib Fractures with Damage to Lung|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- A direct blow to the rib
- Crushing of the chest, such as in contact sports or a car accident
- Severe coughing incidents that can occur with lung problems or at high altitude
- Rib fractures in young children are often a sign of abuse
- Age: 65 years and older
- Difficulty doing activities of daily living
- Playing contact sports
- Having weak bones
- Having a chronic cough
Extreme repetitive upper body activity (less common), such as in:
- Throwing athletes
- Basketball players
- Weight lifters
- Having an occupation involving a lot of overhead lifting
- Having a history of rib or chest fracture
- Pain in the ribs or upper chest area
- Pain when coughing
- Swelling and bruising in the fracture area
- Severe local tenderness in the fracture area
- Internal bleeding
- Pain while breathing
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil)
- Naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn)
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
Intercostal Nerve Blocks
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://www.aaos.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://www.canorth.org
Boden BP, Osbahr DC, et al. Low-risk stress fractures. Am J Sports Med . 2001;29:100-111.
Fractures. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00097 . Updated October 2007. Accessed June 18, 2008.
Gregoretti C, et al. Regional anesthesia in trauma patients. Anesthesiol Clin . 2007;25(1):99-116.
Marx J, Hockberger R, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice . 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Mosby Elsevier; 2006.
O'Kane J. Delayed complication of a rib fracture. Phys Sportsmed . 1998;26:69.
Rib fractures. National Guideline Clearinghouse website. Available at: http://www.guideline.gov/summary/summary.aspx?ss=15&doc%5Fid=7062&nbr=4251. Accessed October 14, 2005.
1/4/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us : Barrett-Connor E, Nielson CM, Orwoll E, Bauer DC, Cauley JA; Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study Group. Epidemiology of rib fractures in older men: Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) prospective cohort study. BMJ. 2010;340:c1069.
- Reviewer: John C. Keel, MD
- Review Date: 09/2012 -
- Update Date: 09/28/2012 -