Morton's Neuroma Removal
Reasons for Procedure
- Recurrence of pain
- Numbness in the nearby toes
- Poor wound healing
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Medical history
- Physical exam
- X-ray —uses radiation to take pictures of the foot
Description of Procedure
|Nerves of the Foot|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
Average Hospital Stay
- Keep the surgical area clean and dry.
- Ask your doctor about when it is safe to shower, bathe, or soak in water.
- Use compression and ice to prevent swelling as directed by your doctor .
- Keep your foot elevated.
- Take antibiotics to prevent infection if advised by your doctor
- Take pain medicine as directed by your doctor.
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding, or discharge from the incision site
- Pain that you cannot control with the medicines you have been given
- Recurrence of the symptoms in your foot, or new, unexplained symptoms
- Cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, or severe nausea or vomiting
American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons http://www.acfas.org/
American Podiatric Medical Association http://www.apma.org/
Alberta Podiatry Association http://www.albertapodiatry.com/
Canadian Podiatric Medical Association http://www.podiatrycanada.org/
American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons website. Available at: http://www.acfas.org/ .
American Podiatric Medical Association website. Available at: http://www.apma.org/s%5Fapma/index.asp .
Mann RA. Foot and ankle. In: DeLee and Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine . 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders; 2003.
Morton's neuroma. EBSCO Health Library website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/healthLibrary/ . Accessed March 25, 2008.
Scardina RJ, Lee SM. Frontera: Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation . Philadelphia, PA; Hanley and Belfus; 2002.
Thomson CE, Gibson JN, Martin D. Interventions for the treatment of Morton's neuroma. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews . 2004;CD003118.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012 -
- Update Date: 11/26/2012 -