Treatments for Uterine Fibroids
- Watching and waiting
- Over-the-counter and/or prescription medicines
- Measures to reduce excessive bleeding
- Treatments for anemia
- Procedures to destroy or remove the uterine fibroids
- Removal of the entire uterus (only in the most severe cases and when pregnancy is no longer desired)
- Medical history
- Number and location of fibroids
Leiomyoma. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/ . Updated May 22, 2012. Accessed August 16, 2012.
Uterine fibroids. The National Uterine Fibroids Foundation website. Available at: http://www.nuff.org/health%5Futerinefibroids.htm . Accessed August 16, 2012.
Uterine fibroids fact sheet. Womens Health.gov website. Available at: http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/uterine-fibroids.cfm . Updated May 13, 2008. Accessed August 16, 2012.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm
- Review Date: 09/2012 -
- Update Date: 00/91/2012 -