(Acute Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyradiculoneuropathy; Acute Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy; Acute Idiopathic Polyneuritis; Acute Inflammatory Polyneuropathy; Acute Autoimmune Neuropathy; Idiopathic Polyneuritis; AIDP)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Age: 15-35 and 60-75 years old
- Men (somewhat more likely than women)
- Recent gastrointestinal or respiratory infection by viruses or bacteria
Recent vaccination (especially
- The swine flu vaccine given from 1976-1977 was linked to excess cases of Guillain-Barré syndrome. (Since then, influenza virus vaccines have been associated with only a marginally increased risk of Guillain-Barré syndrome.)
- Recent surgery
- History of lymphoma , lupus , or AIDS
- Pain (Lower back pain is the most common complaint.)
- Progressive muscle weakness on both sides of the legs, arms, and face
- Prickly, tingling sensations, usually in the feet or hands
- Loss of normal reflexes
- Facial weakness
- Blood pressure instability
- Heart rate changes
- Sweating abnormalities
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Urinary/gastrointestinal dysfunction
- Breathing difficulty
High-dose Immunoglobulin Therapy
Guillain-Barré Syndrome Foundation International http://www.Guillain-Barré.com
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke http://www.ninds.nih.gov
Canadian Institute for Health Information http://www.cihi.ca/cihiweb/dispPage.jsp?cw%5Fpage=home%5Fe
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/index-eng.php
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. EBSCO Publishing DynaMed website. Available at: Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed . Updated January 31, 2008. Accessed February 23, 2008.
Bradley WG, Daroff RB. Neurology in Clinical Practice . Philadelphia, PA: Butterworth Heinemann Publishing; 2004.
Brown B Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. In: Gilman S, ed. MedLink Neurology. San Diego, CA: MedLink Corporation. Available at: http://www.medlink.com . Accessed February 23, 2008.
Goetz S. Acute inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy. In: Clinical Neurology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders; 2007.
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov .
Textbook of Clinical Neurology . WB Saunders Company; 1999.
Vucic S, Kiernan MC, Cornblath DR. Guilainn-Barre: an update. J Clinical Neuroscience . 2009;16(6):733-741.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 09/2012 -
- Update Date: 00/91/2012 -