Hints for Searching PubMed
National Library of Medicine’s knowledge-based medical search engine
Put your topic in the main search field.
Below the main search field there is a “Limits” Tab. Click on the “Limits” Tab.
You will see a variety of drop down menus.
1. Limit your search to the “Languages” “Humans and/or Animals” and “Publication Date”.
2. Limit your search to “Publication Types” “Ages” and “Gender.”
3. Add a Boolean operator in the main search field such as “AND” “NOT” “OR” in all capitals. These operators will enable you to add a sub-topic, exclude a topic, or expand a topic.
4. Many searches are narrowed by using NOT to eliminate the categories NOT needed.
5. After you do a search and you wish to order up to fifteen articles from your search mark your selections then click on the “Send to” key dropdown menu. Select “Order.” This selection will bring you to “Loansome Doc” - the document ordering feature of PubMed. If you have never used Loansome Doc you will then select the “Sign-Up” link. Follow the registration instructions carefully. Because you are searching PubMed from our Portsmouth Regional Hospital Web Site you have permission to select the Health Science Library at PRH as the ordering Library. Copyright will be monitored for you.
6. When you register - say “yes” to “Forwarding” your request and put in 0.00 when asked how much you wish to pay for an article.
7. Most articles are from the free library system. Occasionally there is a charge, but you will not be charge until you are contacted. Loansome Doc is a secure site. Patron information is protected.
8. Contact Sheila Hayes, Health Science Librarian at 603 433-4094 if you have any questions.