The Seacoast Region's Experts in Spine and Back Care
When you have back or neck pain, you want a team of professionals working to pinpoint the cause and find the best treatment for your condition. Portsmouth Regional Hospital’s team of spine specialists — including neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons — provide individualized, comprehensive spine care for back pain or injury.
Health Risk Assessments
Find out how healthy you are by taking our FREE online health risk assessments:
Our spine experts stay at the forefront of medicine and use advanced nonsurgical therapies and surgical spine treatments, like minimally invasive spine surgery. Don’t let back pain keep you down. Get innovative spine treatments from the Seacoast Region’s spine and back care experts.
Spine and Back Conditions We Treat
Back or neck pain is caused by damage from injury, disease, or wear and tear to the spinal bones (called vertebrae), muscles, nerves, discs (cushion between the vertebrae), or tendons. Pain can happen in the cervical (neck), thoracic (middle), or lumbar (lower) areas of the spine.
The orthopedic and spine teams at Portsmouth Regional Hospital use a multispecialty approach to diagnose and care for your condition. We treat a wide range of back and spine conditions, including:
- Bone spurs: bone overgrowths
- Degenerative disc disease: breakdown of the discs
- Herniated discs: ruptured or bulged discs
- Osteoarthritis: cartilage in the joints wears down
- Sciatica: nerve irritation
- Scoliosis and kyphosis: spinal curvature
- Spinal stenosis and myelopathy: narrowing of the spinal canal
- Spinal tumors and cancer: growths in or around the spinal column or cord
- Spine fractures: caused by trauma, injury, or arthritis
- Spine infections: osteomyelitis
- Spondylolisthesis: one vertebra slips over another
- Sports injuries: caused by repetitive movements or trauma
Nonsurgical and Minimally Invasive Back and Spine Treatment
We evaluate your overall health and lifestyle to recommend the safest, simplest, and most appropriate treatments. Portsmouth Regional Hospital offers nonsurgical and minimally invasive therapies, such as:
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation: Strengthen and stabilize the core using medicaly supervised fitness plans developed by board-certified physical therapy doctors called physiatrists.
- Spinal injections: Involve image-guided technology to deliver medications to relieve pain and reduce inflammation. These include epidural steroid injections, facet joint injections, nerve blocks, and trigger point injections.
- Nerve stimulation techniques: Deliver low-voltage electrical current to relieve pain, as in transcutaneous nerve stimulation (TENS) therapy and implanted peripheral nerve stimulation (PNS) devices.
- Interventional spine procedures: For example, percutaneous disc compression to alleviate pain. We also perform vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty for spinal fractures.
- Integrative services: Whole-person wellness activities for healing mind, body, and spirit, including massage, Reiki, and other therapies.
Advanced Spine Surgery at Portsmouth Regional Hospital
The renowned spine surgeons at Portsmouth Regional Hospital lead the Seacoast Region in advanced surgical techniques that offer unmatched precision and accuracy, with less pain and improved outcomes.
In many cases, we can stabilize joints, decompress pinched nerves, fuse bones, and correct deformities — all through a few, small incisions. This means less trauma to muscles and tissue, resulting in shorter operations, less pain after surgery, and faster recovery. Many patients go home within a day or two.
We offer a variety of spine surgeries including:
- Discectomy/microdiscectomy: Removes all or part of the disc, or the cushion between the vertebrae.
- Laminectomy or laminotomy: Removes part of the back bone which covers the spinal canal to relieve pressure on the spinal nerves. Often performed with spinal fusion surgery.
- Foraminotomy: Removes bone or tissue to open the space where the nerves leave the spinal canal, sometimes also performed with spinal fusion surgery.
- Disc replacement surgery: Replaces a damaged disc with an artificial one. We offer cervical and lumbar disc replacement surgeries.
- Kyphoplasty/vertebroplasty: Treats spinal fractures, eases pain, and restores height. Kyphoplasty uses a balloon to create a space, which is filled with medical cement. In vertebroplasty, medical cement is injected into the spongy vertebral bone.
- Spinal fusion: Increases spine stability by joining two vertebrae using bone grafts and sometimes implants, such as rods and screws.
- Spinal cord infusion: A surgically implanted pain pump therapy that uses electrical impulses to block pain messages from the brain.
Spine Care Experts on New Hampshire’s Seacoast
Portsmouth Regional Hospital offers the highest quality orthopedic and spine care provided by a team committed to restoring your health and quality of life. Patients choose us for:
- Multispecialty care from a team dedicated to you. Our team includes board-certified and fellowship trained doctors and orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, physiatrists, anesthesiologists, pain management specialists, and interventional radiologists who work together to provide whole-patient care.
- Compassionate care throughout the journey. We’re here every step of the way with nurse navigation, case management, and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Advanced spine surgery technologies and techniques. Some spine surgeries can be performed using a surgical microscope and Brainlab's stereotactic navigational system to precisely locate and treat problems. This can mean reduced anesthesia levels, fewer side effects, shorter hospital stays, and lower readmission rates.
- Participation in the national registry for lumbar spine surgery. A collaborative effort of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Neuropoint Alliance, and Vanderbilt University, we’re helping to improve outcomes, functional capacity, and quality of life for people undergoing spinal surgery.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery. In addition to advanced diagnostics, our hospital also offers pain management services, integrative services, and both inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation from licensed therapists who understand spinal conditions. This means you can get everything you need in one place, from one team.
- Care in a full-service hospital. If you need surgery, it’s at a hospital with all the services and amenities you need for a comfortable recovery.
- Free valet parking for hospital services. To make life more convenient, we offer free valet parking