What is a Nurse Navigator?
The Portsmouth Regional Hospital breast cancer nurse navigator is your advocate, helping to reinforce and support the physician/patient relationship. Our goal is to enhance your quality of life, provide a sense of autonomy and help you manage your own health.
Health Risk Assessments
Find out how healthy you are by taking our FREE online health risk assessments:
By guiding breast cancer patients with knowledgeable and supportive help, our oncology-trained nurse navigator improves care experiences, assist physicians and maintains quality outcomes.
The Breast Cancer Nurse Navigator will provide you and your family with education, support and coordination to help journey through your care after a breast cancer diagnosis.
The Breast Cancer Nurse Navigator’s role is to:
- Working with you to understand your diagnosis and treatment options
- Guides you and your family to informed decision-making and supportive care across the cancer continuum.
- Coordinating office visits with your medical, surgical and oncology providers for timely access to appointments and resources
- Provide a personalized touch to breast cancer care by visiting you at appointments, assessing your needs and relaying relevant information to your treatment team
- Assisting you with solutions to personal needs and concerns, such as transportation, finances and other services, connecting you to community resources
- Serving as an ongoing source of support and education for you and your family as you travel through your cancer treatment and survivorship
Our Breast Cancer Nurse Navigators help support:
- Patients identified at high risk of breast cancer
- Newly diagnosed breast cancer patients
- Current breast cancer care patients
- Family members of a diagnosed patient
- Consistent point of contact
- Individualized education
- Coordination of care
- Family/caregiver support
- Decrease in fear and anxiety
- Ongoing assessment of needs, such as psychosocial, transportation and financial
- No additional charges for this service
- Consistent point of contact for you and your staff
- More productive office visits
- Less anxious patients
- More compliant patients
- Improved patient satisfaction
- Coordination of patient care between facilities and providers
Meet Our Breast Cancer Nurse Navigator
Darlene Tassinary, BS, RN, OCN
Breast Cancer Nurse Navigator
Portsmouth Regional Hospital
Cancer Care Center
Darlene is a Sarah Cannon Research Institute trained Breast Cancer Nurse Navigator. As the Breast Cancer Nurse Navigator, Darlene is a single point of contact for our patients and their families through their journey of breast cancer diagnosis and treatment.
Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN) by the Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation (ONCC)
Certified Chemotherapy and Biotherapy provider by the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS)
Breast Care Related Resources
Learn more about these and other related conditions in our online Health Library.
Visit the American Cancer Society