For the best cancer care, you first need the most accurate diagnosis. Portsmouth Regional Hospital offers the latest in diagnostic technology. Our expert physicians are skilled in interpreting your results, and our pathologists are certified by the College of American Pathologists (CAP).
Advanced Cancer Diagnostics
Look for our innovative diagnostic and imaging services in welcoming, comfortable spaces within the hospital and nearby medical office buildings. You benefit from:
- Computed tomography (CT) high-resolution, 64-slice, low-dose scanning for more detailed images
- 3-Tesla (3T) magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to show greater detail in a shorter time, particularly for preoperative tumor imaging
- High-performance open MRI that delivers top-quality images while allowing anxious or claustrophobic patients to relax
- Positron emission tomography (PET) and PET/CT scanning to show metabolic activity and identify growing tumors
- Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) for determining the stage of non-small cell lung cancer
- Digital mammography
- Stereotactic or ultrasound guidance for breast imaging and biopsy
- Ultrasound (3-D, color)
- Sentinel node biopsy
- Nuclear medicine
- Interventional radiology for a variety of diagnostic tests and cancer treatments
With this broad range of advanced technologies, we're better able to distinguish between benign and malignant masses, evaluate the effectiveness of chemotherapy and radiation and find out earlier if a tumor has recurred. You'll also get a quick response–biopsy results are usually available within 48 hours.
Learn more about our extensive services for tests and imaging.
Save Your Life—Get Screened Today
Early detection of cancer can save your life. So turn your concern into action and get screened today at Portsmouth Regional Hospital. Many of our programs welcome you directly—you can come in on your own, without referral from a physician.
Schedule your screening mammogram, colonoscopy, PSA (prostate) exam, skin cancer screening or lung screening by calling our Consult-A-Nurse® team 24/7 at (888) 421-1080 today. We'll help you arrange the appointment to fit your calendar and physician preference.
Screening Programs for Women and Men
Take advantage of the wide range of cancer screenings available at Portsmouth Regional Hospital, including:
- Breast – Mammography and ultrasound
- Cervical and gynecologic (ovarian, uterine)
- Colorectal – Colonoscopy and colorectal exam
- Lung and thoracic – Low-dose CT scan
- Prostate – Digital rectal exam and prostate-specific antigen (PSA)
- Skin cancers, including melanoma – Visual screening
Low-Cost Screening and Education Opportunities
Check our schedule of classes and events to find a variety of community health fairs and low-cost screenings available throughout the Seacoast region at locations near you.
Genetics and Cancer
We provide introductory information and make referrals for genetic counseling and testing to help you understand, manage or reduce your risks if you have a history of cancer in your family. For more information, contact our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (888) 421-1080.
The Power of Our Network Delivers Fast Results
Complementing our cancer testing and imaging technology, our Picture Archival Communication System (PACS) gives doctors fast access to all your medical records, images and test results from anywhere within Portsmouth Regional Hospital. Doctors can use PACS to share images instantly with a consulting physician and help you receive the most accurate diagnosis.
Explore the Cancer Center in our online Health Library.
Rehabilitation & Recovery
Support your recovery and regain function during and after cancer treatment by taking advantage of the extensive outpatient rehabilitation services available to you through Portsmouth Regional Hospital. Your overall recuperation, return to daily activities and outlook on life can also benefit from our services for palliative care, pain management, behavioral health and integrative care.