Endoscopy is a procedure that allows doctors to visually examine the esophagus (throat), stomach and intestines using an endoscope—a long, thin, flexible tube with a camera on the tip. Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) is a type of ultrasound that examines the layers of the esophagus, chest, stomach, duodenum (small intestine), bile duct, pancreas and gallbladder using sound waves to make images of the inside of the body. In EUS, the ultrasound probe is passed down the throat or up the rectum and into the digestive tract.
Endoscopic tests give your doctor crucial information for accurate diagnosis of gastrointestinal and digestive tract disorders such as pain in the stomach or abdomen, swallowing difficulties, vomiting, indigestion, tumors and ulcers. Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) is a tool for diagnosing lung infections, lung cancer and other diseases that enlarge the lymph nodes in the chest. Endoscopic procedures may be used to take tissue samples and remove polyps, often avoiding the need for surgery.
A Recognized Leader in Gastrointestinal Care
At the full-service Endoscopy Center at Portsmouth Regional Hospital, our highly trained staff uses advanced tools to provide comprehensive, compassionate diagnosis and treatment for people with gastrointestinal and digestive tract disorders.
You benefit from our team of highly experienced gastroenterologists (physicians with advanced training and practice in disorders of the digestive system), certified endoscopy nurses and technicians, as well as:
- Multiple types of esophageal studies and digestive testing
- Sedation by an anesthesiologist, if requested
- 11 private pre/postprocedure rooms with designated space for advanced procedures, including bronchoscopy and fluoroscopy
- Our Caring Connection collaboration with the Oncology Clinic to deliver compassionate care and nurse navigation for patients with gastrointestinal cancers
- Convenient scheduling, including same-week appointments and three-hour registration-to-discharge appointment times
Comprehensive Diagnostic Services
Portsmouth Regional Hospital offers a number of endoscopic procedures to help doctors see inside the body for accurate diagnosis and treatment, including:
- Endoscopic removal of gallstones and treatment of common bile duct obstruction (ERCP)
- Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy (EGD)
- Esophageal dilation
- Ambulatory pH monitoring for acid reflux
- Motility studies
- Feeding tube placement
- Photodynamic therapy (PDT)
- BÂRRX-HALO® radiofrequency ablation (RFA)
Our skilled and experienced team detects and treats gastrointestinal and other disorders using minimally invasive procedures to get you back to your daily routine as quickly as possible.
What to Expect
Endoscopy is an outpatient procedure. After scheduling an appointment at the Endoscopy Center, you'll receive detailed instructions on how to prepare for your specific procedure.
Learn more about various endoscopic procedures in our online Health Library.