Expert Care for High-Risk Pregnancies in Portsmouth, New Hampshire
If your pregnancy is considered high-risk, you want an experienced medical team and a hospital equipped to handle the most complicated births. Whether you’re carrying multiples, have a history of miscarriage, or developed gestational diabetes, you’ll find expert care and support right here at Portsmouth Regional Hospital.
Our partnership with Elliot Hospital in Manchester gives you access to some of the Seacoast region’s top maternal-fetal medicine specialists (also known as perinatologists). Together we coordinate the special monitoring and care you and your baby need to stay healthy.
Why Choose Portsmouth Regional Hospital for High-Risk Pregnancy Care
If you have a complicated pregnancy, you need more than just the latest technology. You also need peace of mind. Families trust us to provide:
- Access to leading specialists. Maternal-fetal medicine doctors from Elliot Hospital visit our campus to provide in-person consultations. They collaborate with a team that includes your regular OB/GYN, genetic counselors, experienced nurses, and other professionals. This helps ensure the best possible outcomes for you and your baby.
- Coordinated care from the start. You’ll work closely with one of our perinatal safety nurses who coordinates your care and services needed before, during, and after delivery.
- Specialized newborn care. Our Level II special care nursery provides around-the-clock care for babies who need a little extra help transitioning to life outside the womb.
- Advanced pediatric services. If your baby has a condition that will require additional medical care during childhood, you can take comfort knowing we offer a full range of pediatric services, including emergency, hospital, and specialty care on-site.
High-Risk Pregnancy Conditions We Treat
Pregnancy is deemed high-risk if a condition gives you and/or your baby a greater-than-normal chance of complications. These complications could occur during pregnancy, during labor, or after delivery.
We provide maternal-fetal care for many conditions and situations, including:
- Carrying twins, triplets, or other multiples
- Pre-existing medical conditions including high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, asthma, heart disease, epilepsy, lupus, and HIV
- Medical problems that develop during pregnancy, including gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, and preterm labor
- History of miscarriage or other pregnancy complications
- Substance use during pregnancy
- Placenta problems, including placenta previa, placenta accreta, or placental abruption
- Fetal growth or development problems
Comprehensive Perinatology Services We Offer
When you choose to have your baby at Portsmouth Regional Hospital, you have access to the highest level of perinatology care. Services include:
- Preconception counseling. This service is available to individuals or couples who have concerns about having a healthy pregnancy or baby. We can counsel you on risk factors such as advanced age, pre-existing medical conditions, and a family history of genetic conditions.
- Genetic testing and counseling. If you have genetic testing, we’ll thoroughly explain your results and any possible risks to your unborn baby. We’ll also explain the benefits and risks of prenatal screening tests.
- Fetal diagnostic procedures. We offer tests to screen for birth defects or inherited conditions. These include amniocentesis, nuchal translucency screening, and chorionic villus sampling.
- Prenatal ultrasounds. We’ll closely monitor your baby’s growth and development throughout your pregnancy using the latest ultrasound imaging procedures.
- Hospital antepartum care. If you need to be hospitalized during your pregnancy, we’ll do everything we can to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
- Delivery planning. Your doctor will work closely with our birth center team to help ensure a smooth, safe delivery — and to prepare for any medical care you or your baby may need immediately after birth.
Women choose our birth center because of its reputation for safe, supportive care. Learn more about our strengths, services, and amenities.
Baby on the way? Chances are you have a million questions about feeding, sleep schedules, and babyproofing. Our classes help you feel confident and well-prepared.
Illness and injury tend to strike when you least expect it. Learn when you should bring your baby to the nearest ER, and when it’s okay to wait for your doctor’s office to open.