Seacoast’s Most Advanced Joint Replacement Solutions
The orthopedic surgeons at Portsmouth Regional Hospital use advanced techniques to help you get back on your feet, faster. As the first hospital in the region recognized for excellence in total knee and hip replacement by The Joint Commission — a leading national authority on quality care and safety — we offer superior outcomes and faster recovery.
Health Risk Assessments
Find out how healthy you are by taking our FREE online health risk assessments:
Joint replacement surgery at a full-service hospital gives you access to innovative services and comprehensive care should you need it. Our knee and hip replacement experience is unmatched in the region. We’re recognized for high performance by U.S. News & World Report. We’re also the only New Hampshire hospital awarded a five-star rating for both our knee and hip replacement programs by Healthgrades.
You benefit from leading joint replacement care from experts dedicated to you, close to home.
Knee Replacement — Restoring Your Mobility
Knee replacement surgery, also called knee arthroplasty, relieves pain and restores joint function. It involves resurfacing or capping the ends of the bones damaged by arthritis or injury with a prosthetic (or artificial) implant made from metal and plastic.
We use the latest advancements and minimally invasive techniques including Mako™ Robotics Technology for precise and accurate alignment. Our customized implant solutions, like ConforMIS, mean a better fit, faster recovery, and enhanced performance.
Candidates for Knee Replacement Surgery
You may be a candidate for knee replacement surgery if you:
- Experience knee pain with activity
- Feel pain even while resting
- Wake up during the night due to knee pain
- Have difficulty sitting, climbing stairs, or bending down
- Tried other treatments such as diet, exercise, and medications, without success
Types of Knee Replacement Surgery We Offer
We offer options to fit your goals and lifestyle, including:
- Total knee replacement: Involves all three bones (thigh, shin, and kneecap) that form the knee joint. Implants vary depending on your weight, size, and activity level.
- Partial knee replacement: When damage is limited to a portion of the knee (inside, outside, or front), we can save healthy tissue and bone in a less invasive procedure. Partial knee replacement is also called knee resurfacing.
Hip Replacement —Living Pain Free
Hip replacement surgery, or hip arthroplasty, resolves hip pain caused by injury from fractures, conditions like avascular necrosis, or severe arthritis. The result is better stability, mobility, function, and less pain.
Candidates for Hip Replacement Surgery
Schedule an appointment with one of our joint experts if you:
- Experience hip pain or stiffness after sitting for a long time, or getting out of bed
- Have pain, swelling, or tenderness in the hip joint
- Hear or feel “crunching” in the hip joint
- Have tried other treatments such as medicines and physical therapy, without success
Types of Hip Replacement Surgery We Offer
Portsmouth Regional Hospital specializes in total hip replacement. Surgeons replace the ball of the thigh bone and socket of the pelvis bone with prosthetic (or artificial) pieces made from metal, ceramic, and/or plastic. The procedure involves removing the damaged cartilage and bone and implanting the prosthetic joint.
We offer advanced Mako™ Robotics Technology for total hip replacements. This minimally invasive approach uses 3-D models and smaller incisions for unmatched precision and accuracy. This means less trauma to bones, tendons, and muscles, resulting in faster recovery with less pain than traditional approaches.
The direct anterior (front) hip replacement is another minimally invasive alternative to traditional hip replacements that offers less trauma, fewer incisions, and faster recovery.
Award-Winning Joint Replacement Care in New Hampshire
Your joint replacement journey at Portsmouth Regional Hospital begins with expert diagnosis and continues with education about the condition and procedures available to you. Patients give us high satisfaction rates because of our:
- Excellent joint replacement outcomes. In fact, 98% of our knee replacement patients and 96% of hip replacement patients are up and walking the day of surgery. Our complication rate and time in the hospital beats the national average, meaning our patients are recovering faster with better results.
- Programs accredited by The Joint Commission. Our total knee and hip replacement programs were the first on the Seacoast given The Gold Seal of Approval® for excellence by the nation’s leading authority on quality care, outcomes, and continuous improvement.
- Recognition for excellence and quality. Healthgrades, a leader in making information about physicians and hospitals more accessible and transparent, gave our total knee and hip replacement and hip fracture programs five-star ratings and recognized our joint replacement program for excellence. We’re the only hospital in the state with both knee and joint programs given this high honor.
- Comprehensive preoperative education. To help ease anxiety before surgery, we offer a Total Joint Replacement Orientation including an inside look at our facility and what to expect before, during, and after surgery.
- Care throughout the journey. We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery. We offer inpatient and outpatient physical therapy, rehabilitation, and pain management services, all under one roof.
- Fellowship trained, board-certified specialists. Your care comes from board-certified doctors and orthopedic surgeons. Many of our doctors are also fellowship trained in their field.
- Free valet parking for hospital services. To make life more convenient, we offer free valet parking.