Putting up a good front but feeling like your life is in turmoil? Struggling to cope after the birth of a baby? Or the illness or death of a loved one? You're not alone.
Check for these signs of depression, which also apply to postpartum depression. If you, a loved one or friend have several symptoms, you may need to find professional help. Discuss the situation with your doctor immediately.
In crisis? Get help 24/7. Call PARS®, our free psychiatric referral services hotline at 603.433.5270.
Signs of Depression
- Persistent sadness or anxiety
- Decreased energy
- Loss of interest in usual activities – including sex and hobbies
- Sleep disturbances – insomnia or oversleeping
- Appetite and weight changes – loss or gain
- Feelings of hopelessness or pessimism
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness or helplessness
- Thoughts of death or suicide attempts
- Difficulty concentrating or making decisions
- Chronic aches or persistent symptoms not caused by physical disease
Learn more about emotional, behavioral and mental health and related conditions in our online Health Library.