Portsmouth Regional Hospital offers hope, help, encouragement and support for individuals with a wide range of behavioral and mental health conditions, including chemical dependency. Individuals receive the best quality care through specialized services in a safe, healthy, nonjudgmental and calming environment.
Your Best Choice for Emotional, Behavioral or Mental Health Care
Portsmouth Regional Hospital leads the Seacoast region in providing high-quality psychiatric care. Combining our experience and advanced medical expertise, we offer unparalleled attention for the emotional health needs of you or your loved ones.
- Programs and Services – Our mental and behavioral health programs cover a wide range of inpatient and outpatient services for adults and adolescents age 15 and up. Following assessment, we develop an individualized care plan that prioritizes safety, crisis stabilization, collaboration with outpatient treatment opportunities, aftercare, individual empowerment and an emphasis on patient and family education and support.
- Team of Experts – Our team of experienced medical professionals, including board-certified psychiatrists from different specialties, applies a multispecialty approach to overall patient health. This means an entire team, including psychiatrists, specialized nurses, licensed social workers, addictionologists, psychiatric analysts and other professionals, combines their expertise to develop personalized treatment plans for each patient's needs.
- Peaceful Surroundings – Our recently renovated inpatient unit, the largest in New Hampshire, offers a warm and friendly environment for recovery.
- Patient Satisfaction – Participants in our programs consistently rate us highly for patient satisfaction.
- Educational Resources – Learn more about emotional, behavioral and mental health and related conditions in our online Health Library.
Conditions We Treat
We treat depression, anxiety, substance abuse, psychotic and bipolar disorder, behavior management issues and many other mood, personality and psychiatric disorders. Pregnant women who experience depression or addiction and women with postpartum depression benefit from our services.
Our team is specially trained to respond to individuals at risk of suicide. Because Portsmouth Regional Hospital is a full-service hospital, medical-surgical services are quickly available should a medical emergency or complications arise during treatment.
Compassionate Mental Health Care
Our doctors understand the pain our patients feel when they come to us, whether they're seeking help for emotional, psychiatric or chemical dependency issues. Our team strives to make each individual feel comfortable and respected, supported and not alone.
When you're admitted as an inpatient, our first priority is to help with crisis stabilization. From there, we develop a treatment plan tailored to your needs, designed to help you re-establish positive relationships, develop a stronger sense of yourself and learn to function with day-to-day life. The mental health services may include individual counseling, family meetings and involvement (with the patient's permission), group therapy and medication management.
Because we focus on restoring you to whole health and wellness, we offer care for your mind, body and spirit. You may benefit from Reiki relaxation therapy, pastoral care, nutritional services and classes in yoga and tai chi.
Your safety and security are guiding factors in everything we do, from identifying behavioral health programs, therapies and specialists to designing the environment and controlling visitor access. Our non-smoking unit features semi-private rooms with a total of 22 beds.
General Psychiatric Program
Our behavioral health team helps stabilize individuals in acute psychiatric crisis and provides a program of treatment, counseling and/or medication management.
You'll meet one-on-one each day with a psychiatrist and social worker. Each psychiatrist is specially trained to help patients dealing with mental health problems and including anxiety, depression and other psychiatric disorders.
Your mental health program may include expressive therapy, introductory cognitive behavioral therapy, illness and medical management, management of stress and vulnerability, coping strategies and relaxation techniques.
For individuals with substance abuse issues, we offer medically-supervised detoxification, therapeutic inpatient services and groups focused on recovery. We encourage patients to attend self-help meetings, such as Alcoholics Anonymous (AA/Al-Anon), Narcotics Anonymous (NA) and Alateen. AA meetings are held at Portsmouth Regional Hospital every evening from Sunday through Thursday at 7:30 p.m.
Find other AA meetings in New Hampshire.
When you're ready for discharge, we help you transition from inpatient to outpatient care. Through a careful evaluation of your medical and psychiatric history, we identify the most appropriate healthcare and community resources for your care and provide referrals to help you continue the important work of recovery.
Now Offering a Partial Hospitalization Program in Hampton, NH
Portsmouth Regional Hospital is dedicated to short term behavioral health services for adults and now offers a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP). The PHP provides an intense outpatient treatment setting for those who are struggling with maintaining daily routines due to symptoms of anxiety, depression or other mental health issues.