Portsmouth Regional Hospital's 24-hour emergency department offers the highest-quality care when you need it most. In an emergency, minutes are critical for ill or injured patients. With the most advanced technology, a highly trained and experienced staff, 22 exam rooms and the shortest wait times in the area, our ER provides responsive emergency care close to home.
Your First Choice for Emergency Care
Our patient-centered care and emergency expertise make us the top choice for your ER care for many reasons, including:
- Board-certified emergency physicians, nurses and clinical staff specially trained in trauma and advanced cardiac life support
- Nurses with advanced emergency nurse certification (CEN) and Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) certification
- Specialty rooms for gynecology, ear-nose-throat, trauma and cardiac patients
- Life-saving emergency heart care, including our certification as a nationally Accredited Chest Pain Center. Our LifeNet system allows emergency responders to alert the ER and activate the cardiac catheterization lab if a blocked artery is suspected. Our median "door-to-balloon" time—the interval between a heart patient's arrival in the ER and a procedure to open a blocked artery—is under an hour, placing Portsmouth in the top 10 percent of hospitals nationwide.
- Certification as an Accredited Primary Stoke Center, recognizing the quality and speed of our response to stroke
- Coordination with EMS providers to ensure rapid response and treatment of stroke patients
- An outstanding orthopedic surgical staff to treat sports injuries, falls and childhood accidents in addition to complex traumas
- Easy access to ancillary services not available elsewhere in the community, including neurological care, interventional radiology and a high-level Intensive Care Unit
- ER wait times you can view online, via text message (text "ER" to 23000 for current wait time) and in our ER waiting area, as well as in-room registration to reduce waiting
- Level III trauma care
Primary ER Services
Our ER provides specialized treatment day and night for wide-ranging emergencies, including:
- Heart attack
- Sepsis (a serious infection in the bloodstream)
- Bone injuries
- Mental illness and suicidal thoughts
Walk-In Urgent Care
We also provide 24/7 walk-in urgent care services for minor illnesses and injuries for patients of all ages without the need for long wait times and complicated paperwork. Be sure you're familiar with your insurance plan's policy on emergency care. Portsmouth Regional Hospital provides emergency care to all people, regardless of health insurance or ability to pay.