At Portsmouth Regional Hospital, we want you to feel comfortable and prepared for your outpatient visit, hospital stay or surgery. We use the latest medical technologies for a wide range of inpatient and outpatient procedures.
The reason for your visit determines the specific preparations you'll need to make. In all cases, we do our best to make the process as quick and easy as possible.
Before Your Outpatient Procedure
As soon as you're scheduled for an outpatient procedure, check with the doctor's office that made your referral. Ask a nurse for the details about your treatment, the admission process and your next steps.
Before Your Elective Procedure, Service or Hospital Visit
- Take time to review your insurance coverage and make sure you're prepared to pay your copay or deductible. If you're unsure of your specific coverage, call your insurance company in advance.
- For information about financial assistance, or for help understanding your insurance benefits, contact our Financial Counselor Service at 603.334.2087.
- You can preregister online for your stay to save time at check-in. Or call our Admitting Office at 603.433.5223 to register once you've been referred to Portsmouth Regional Hospital by a doctor or therapist on our staff.
Your doctor's office will give you specific information about preparing for an upcoming procedure or hospital stay, but we've also provided some basic suggestions to help you prepare for your visit.
- Verify that your procedure is covered by your insurance carrier.
- Get information about what to expect before, during and after your specific medical procedure in our online Health Library.
- Learn more about preparing for surgery at Portsmouth Regional Hospital.
- Learn how to prepare for your child's hospital visit at Portsmouth.
- Contact your primary physician if you have more questions.
To view our online interactive tutorials with in-depth, easy-to-understand explanations for many procedures performed at Portsmouth, you'll need an access code from your doctor or the hospital.
Items You Need for Admission
- All active insurance cards
- A list of all medications you currently take
- Photo identification, such as a driver's license
- Social Security number
- Living will and other advance directives, if you have them
- HMO/PPO referral forms, if required
- Medical records, X-ray films or previous test results, if your physician has requested them
- Written letter of authorization from your insurance carrier, if you're covered by workers' compensation
- A check or credit card for deductibles, copayments or deposits
Items You Need for Your Stay
- Personal toiletries, such as shampoo, toothpaste and toothbrush
- Bathrobe and slippers or socks
- A list with names, doses and schedules of all medications you take on a routine basis; do not bring any of these medications with you to the hospital unless your doctor writes an order for you to do so
- Glasses, dentures, hearing aids or any other assistive device you may need
- Clothes to wear when you go home
Leave your valuable items, such as jewelry, portable electronic devices and money at home.