Cardiovascular rehabilitation in Portsmouth
At Portsmouth Regional Hospital, our comprehensive cardiac rehabilitation program supports you and your family as you make important lifestyle adjustments after a cardiac event or diagnosis. Cardiac rehabilitation may be recommended by your physician to help you recover after a treatment or invasive surgery.
Call our team at (888) 421-1080 to make an appointment or learn more about our cardiac rehab program.
When you choose Portsmouth Regional Hospital for cardiac care, you gain access to a full range of cardiac therapy services through our Center for Rehabilitation and Wellness, which is down the street from the hospital at 155 Borthwick Ave.
You'll have access to a team of exercise physiologists, nurses, nutritionists, cardiologists, and internists, who will tailor your program to your specific needs. Program components typically include:
- Goal-setting for realistic lifestyle changes
- Medically supervised exercise
- Weight management
- Stress management, including integrative care services such as relaxation, mindfulness and massage therapy, to heal your mind, body and spirit
- Educational programs to help you understand your condition and avoid future heart problems
- Smoking cessation resources
- Heart-healthy nutrition classes and one-on-one counseling with our registered dietitians
Cardiac rehab benefits
By participating in our cardiac therapy program, you'll be able to:
- Identify symptoms of heart disease and when to seek medical attention
- Begin a personalized exercise program designed to fit your needs
- Work toward your ideal body weight and cholesterol levels through physical activity and healthy nutrition
- Return to your regular work and leisure activities after heart surgery
- Reduce your risk factors and risk for future heart attack
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle with the help of your cardiac rehabilitation team
Cardiac therapy admissions
A physician referral is required for monitored cardiac rehab services. You may be required to take a treadmill stress test as a baseline to help our team create the most effective exercise program for you. Ask your doctor when you may begin.
Many insurance carriers cover the cost of monitored cardiac rehab services. You may be responsible for a copayment. For questions about reimbursement, talk to your insurance advisor.
Support and education for heart health
Because education and risk assessment are essential to maintaining heart health, we also offer classes and resources to ward off heart disease.
If you’ve been diagnosed with heart disease, you’ll find a supportive community in our Mended Hearts program. Mended Hearts, a national organization focused on hope and recovery, brings heart patients, families and caregivers together in a network of caring individuals. Members share their experiences, learn from healthcare professionals and volunteer to speak with other heart patients about life with heart disease.
To learn more about Mended Hearts, call (888) 432-7899.