Expert dermatologists in Portsmouth
From teenage acne to age spots, most people have skin-related concerns at some point in their lives. The dermatologists at Portsmouth Regional Hospital are specially trained to diagnose and treat many skin disorders, including skin cancer, eczema, psoriasis and nail infections.
To learn more about our dermatology services, call (888) 421-1080.
Measured in terms of weight and surface area, your skin is the largest organ in your body. Forming a protective barrier between your internal organs and the external world, it performs several important functions:
- Protects you from bacteria and viruses that can cause infections
- Helps you sense whether conditions outside your body are hot or cold and wet or dry
- Regulates your body temperature
If your skin becomes irritated, inflamed or clogged, you may experience redness, swelling, burning or itching. Your genetic makeup, allergies and certain diseases or immune system disorders may cause dermatitis, hives or other skin disorders.
Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the U.S. Basal cell cancer, squamous cell cancer and melanoma are the most common types of skin cancer. Although anyone can develop skin cancer, those at highest risk are people who:
- Have had excessive sun or radiation exposure or have been sunburned
- Have light-colored skin, hair and eyes
- Have a family history of skin cancer
- Are 50 years old or older
Because skin cancer is best treated when caught early, it is important to check your skin often and to see a doctor when you notice any suspicious changes in your skin, such as:
- Spots on the skin that change in size, shape or color
- Bleeding sores or spots
- An unusual sore, lump, spot or blemish or a change in the way an area of the skin looks or feels
If your dermatologist believes skin cancer may be present, the Cancer Care Center at Portsmouth Regional Hospital offers comprehensive diagnostic and treatment services.