Experienced cardiovascular care on the Seacoast
The Heart & Vascular Institute at Portsmouth Regional Hospital provides exceptional cardiovascular care comparable to those programs found at major urban medical centers—with a much more personal touch.
To learn more about our cardiovascular care and services, please call (888) 421-1080.
When you trust your cardiovascular care to Portsmouth Regional Hospital, you’ll benefit from:
- The complete continuum of services from prevention and diagnosis to treatment and recovery, allowing you to receive all your care right here in your community hospital
- The first and only comprehensive heart and vascular program on the Seacoast
- Multidisciplinary valve clinic dedicated to comprehensive treatment of valvular heart disease, including minimally invasive procedures, such as transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Cardiovascular experts who work as a team to ensure you receive the right treatment for your condition
- National certification as an accredited Chest Pain Center, recognizing our fast, skilled response to potential heart attack patients
- Approval as an Accredited Primary Stroke Center, signifying our consistently high outcomes for stroke patients
- 24/7 cardiac catheterization labs, allowing us to diagnose and stop a heart attack in its tracks
When you suspect a heart attack, a fast, precise diagnosis is critical. We consistently meet national standards for door-to-balloon times, the interval between a heart patient's arrival in the emergency room and completion of a procedure to open a blocked artery.
Earning accreditation ensures Portsmouth Regional Hospital meets or exceeds quality of care measures based on improving the process of care for acute coronary syndrome patients. It means our medical staff has the best tools, advanced technology and level of expertise to care for your cardiac emergency.
Cardiovascular conditions we treat
When it comes to your heart health, you'll be reassured to know that we carefully weigh options to choose those that are most effective in treating your condition and least invasive to your body. Many of our procedures rely on noninvasive or minimally invasive techniques.
We provide services for:
- Heart care
- Vascular care
- Lung health
- Acute coronary syndrome
- Congestive heart failure
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart arrhythmias
- Heart attack and chest pain (angina)
- Heart failure
- Peripheral artery disease
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Valve disease (including aortic stenosis, mitral valve prolapse and heart murmur)
- Varicose veins
Advanced heart and vascular diagnostics
At our Heart & Vascular Institute, we emphasize the importance of early detection, using the most advanced diagnostic tools to pinpoint any problems quickly and accurately—so your care can start as soon as possible.
When you choose Portsmouth Regional Hospital, you have access to highly sophisticated diagnostic tools and services, delivered with your safety and comfort in mind. You'll benefit from:
- The ability to conduct cardiac and vascular studies simultaneously
- An electrophysiology (EP) lab for diagnosing and treating heart rhythm disorders
- Advanced imaging technology (leading-edge 3D-high resolution magnetic resonance imaging and operating room)
Our medication management clinic
Coumadin® (also known as Warfarin) is a blood thinning medication, or anticoagulant, often used to control blood clots in people with heart and vascular conditions. When taking Coumadin®, it’s important to follow instructions and have the medicine levels in your blood checked periodically to ensure you’re taking the right amount to keep your blood from clotting.
Portsmouth Regional Hospital’s Anticoagulation Clinic offers patients a safe, convenient way of monitoring their medication routinely. Our clinic is managed by a physician assistant and nurse who collaborate with your physician to provide comprehensive medication management. We’ll help you understand the medications you’re taking, monitor dosage and answer all of your questions.
We want to help you stay healthy and avoid hospitalization. Our anticoagulation services include:
- Finger stick INR (international normalized ratio) testing with immediate results
- Face-to-face education/evaluation
- Anticoagulation dosing
- Visits typically less than 15 minutes in duration
- Convenient valet parking
What to expect during your clinic visit
Your first visit includes registration, reviewing your health history, a finger-stick blood test to check your medication levels and making any necessary dosage changes. Follow-up visits consist of blood tests and discussing any changes since your previous visit.
For more information about our Medication Management Clinic, please call (603) 433-4075.