Expert cancer care in Portsmouth
Dealing with cancer is a challenge—physically, mentally and emotionally. That's why you need an experienced and caring partner to share your journey, every step of the way.
The skilled cancer professionals at Portsmouth Regional Hospital's Cancer Care Center deliver advanced care in a compassionate setting close to home. You'll find treatment for nearly every type of cancer using both traditional methods like surgery and chemotherapy—as well as innovative care such as photodynamic therapy for esophageal cancer and the precision of image-guided surgical technology for brain tumors.
When you choose Portsmouth Regional Hospital for your cancer care, you also gain access to clinical trials that provide alternatives typically unavailable elsewhere.
To learn more about our cancer care services, please call (888) 421-1080.
Portsmouth Regional Hospital offers the advanced technology and treatments you expect from a leading cancer hospital. You benefit from:
- Cancer-fighting expertise
- Multidisciplinary cancer team
- Interventional radiology services
- Greater accuracy in diagnosis and staging of lung, esophageal and thoracic cancers
- Specialized nursing certifications
- Surgical services
- Our medical oncologist-supported Infusion Center
Our multidisciplinary team
When you or someone you love is diagnosed with cancer, you want access to the top specialists in the field. Our cancer care team involves a diverse group of medical professionals who know and focus on cancer, including medical and surgical oncologists, interventional radiologists, oncology nurses, neurosurgeons, gynecologists and gynecological oncologists, internists, pathologists, plastic surgeons and other specialized surgeons, primary care physicians, personal trainers, financial counselors and more.
Oncology certified nurses
Many members of our compassionate and caring nursing staff pursue advanced education in oncology and the specialized training required to achieve the designation as an oncology certified nurse. You benefit from their commitment to achieving professional excellence and delivering expert care.
Advanced cancer diagnostics
For the best cancer care, you first need the most accurate diagnosis. Our expert physicians are skilled in interpreting your results, and our pathologists are certified by the College of American Pathologists. We offer:
- High-resolution, 64-slice, low-dose computed tomography (CT) scanning for more detailed images
- 3-Tesla (3T) magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to show greater detail in a shorter time, particularly for preoperative tumor imaging
- High-performance open MRI that delivers top-quality images while allowing anxious or claustrophobic patients to relax
- Positron emission tomography (PET) and combined PET/CT scanning to show metabolic activity and identify growing tumors
- Endobronchial ultrasound
- Digital mammography
- Stereotactic or ultrasound guidance for breast imaging and biopsy
- Ultrasound (3D and color)
- Sentinel node biopsy
- Nuclear medicine
- Interventional radiology
With these technologies, we are able to distinguish between benign and malignant masses, evaluate the effectiveness of chemotherapy and radiation and find out earlier if a tumor has recurred. You'll also get a quick response—biopsy results are usually available within 48 hours.
Complementing our cancer testing and imaging technology, our Picture Archival Communication System (PACS) gives doctors fast access to all your medical records, images and test results from anywhere. Doctors can use PACS to share images instantly with a consulting physician and help you receive the most accurate diagnosis.
Cancers we treat
We treat virtually all cancers in adults, including:
- Bladder cancer
- Brain cancer
- Breast cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Genitourinary cancer
- Gynecological cancers, including ovarian, cervical, endometrial and urine
- Head and neck cancer
- Leukemia and blood-related cancers
- Lung and chest cancers (thoracic)
- Pancreatic and liver cancers
- Prostate cancer
- Skin cancer
- Thyroid cancer
Surgery remains a key component of cancer care and the most common treatment for many patients. At Portsmouth Regional Hospital, our patients benefit from advanced surgical techniques, our broad experience with complex cases, high standards of practice and successful patient outcomes that stem from our multispecialty approach to cancer intervention and lifelong follow-up.
Whether an inpatient or outpatient, you and your physician have access to the most updated surgical services for cancer, including:
- Minimally invasive endoscopic surgical staging and resection
- The Seacoast Region's only photodynamic therapy service, a minimally invasive, laser-based treatment for esophageal cancer and Barrett's esophagus
- Tumor-targeted interventional radiology procedures, including radioembolization, chemoembolization, high-heat microwave ablation, radiofrequency ablation (RFA), RFA-assisted resection and extreme cold-based cryoablation techniques
- Reconstructive surgery and alternatives to total mastectomy
- Neurosurgery, with Brainlab® image guidance for precision and accuracy in addressing brain tumors
Comprehensive cancer support
We provide a range of support services to help you through your treatment and road to survivorship. Through our rehabilitation service, our team is committed to helping you return to daily activities as soon as possible with wellness programs and exercise sessions—free to you as an oncology patient.
When lymph nodes are removed or damaged during cancer treatment, you may be at risk for fluid retention and swelling in your arms, legs and other parts of the body related to nearby lymph nodes—a condition known as lymphedema. You can improve your cancer recovery when you learn more about your potential risk for lymphedema and how to treat swelling if it occurs.
Early detection of cancer can save your life. Turn your concern into action and get screened today. Schedule your mammogram, colonoscopy, prostate-specific antigen (PSA) exam, skin cancer or lung cancer screening by calling our 24/7 nurse team at (888) 421-1080. We'll help you arrange the appointment to fit your calendar and physician preference.
Genetic testing for cancer
A history of cancer in your family may put you at risk for developing certain cancers. We provide introductory information and make referrals for genetic counseling and testing to help you understand, manage and reduce your risk of cancer. For more information, call (888) 421-1080.