Expert care for lung cancer in Portsmouth
With lung cancer as the leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the U.S., early detection and diagnosis are keys to survival. At Portsmouth Regional Hospital, we help you recognize the importance of preventive steps to safeguard your pulmonary health. Your doctor may recommend a lung cancer screening if you're at risk or have any symptoms of lung cancer.
To learn more about our lung cancer care services, please call (888) 421-1080.
The more you know, the better your outcome can be. That's why we integrate education and support throughout our cancer care program. You have access to our broad range of services, such as:
- Pulmonary care to address a variety of acute and chronic lung conditions
- Dietitians who help you deal with changing nutritional needs as you recover from surgery and pursue follow-up treatments
- Case managers to assist you with all aspects of your care, from diagnosis and treatment to recovery and survivorship
- Our medical oncology department's extensive educational materials and resource library
- A variety of cancer support options for women and men
We offer you the latest procedures for screening, diagnosis and treatment of lung and thoracic cancers—all focused on enhancing your quality of life.
Our multispecialty approach means a dedicated team of diverse clinical professionals—such as medical oncologists, thoracic surgical oncologists and pulmonologists—discuss your care, provide individual attention to your situation and map out a plan of treatment, recovery and follow-up catered to your specific needs.
Lung cancer screening
Early detection remains the key to better outcomes. To assess your risk for lung or thoracic cancer, take advantage of the screenings offered at Portsmouth Regional Hospital. You'll receive a consultation, a low-radiation dose computed tomography (CT) scan and a follow-up appointment with of our lung or thoracic specialists. You'll benefit from the most advanced screening practices in the Seacoast Region, including:
- Multiple early and accurate screening options for individuals at risk for lung cancer
- Prompt diagnosis and effective treatment that improves outcomes
- Advanced lung and thoracic surgery by our experienced surgeons to reduce risk and improve survival rate
To schedule a low-dose CT screening, call (603) 433-5285.
Who should be screened for lung cancer?
You may be recommended for a lung cancer screening if you:
- Are between 55 and 75 years old
- Are a current or former smoker with 30 or more "pack years" of smoking
- Have had no incidence of pneumonia for the past 12 weeks
- Haven't had a CT scan in the past year
Advanced technology for diagnosis and treatment
Our experienced medical specialists treat new and recurring lung, esophageal, pleural, mediastinal and chest wall tumors with the most advanced and minimally invasive technology, including:
- Esophageal ultrasound (EUS)
- Endobronchial ultrasound
- 3.0 Tesla magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), CT scanning and positron emission tomography (PET) diagnostic imaging
- Photodynamic therapy (PDT) for esophageal cancer and Barrett's esophagus
- Minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery
- Chemotherapy, biotherapy and other infusion therapies
- Interventional radiology
- Radiation therapy