Physical rehabilitation in Portsmouth
When you need rehab after an injury, surgery or an illness, the Portsmouth Regional Hospital physical therapy team can help. We offer integrated inpatient and outpatient programs to help you relieve your pain—and get you moving again. Our goal is to help you recover and restore fitness safely into your everyday activities.
Led by a physiatrist (doctor who specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation) our team develops your rehab plan using advanced technologies and the support of a full-service medical center.
To make an appointment with our team, call (888) 421-1080.
Adult and pediatric therapy requires a physician referral and takes place at the Center of Rehabilitation & Wellness. Outpatient hours of operation are Mon - Thurs: 7am - 6:30pm and Fri: 8am - 2:30pm.
Comprehensive rehabilitation services
We offer a wide range of rehabilitation programs and services, including:
- Balance and vestibular (inner ear) disorders: We offer balance retraining to help you gain control over inner ear disorder symptoms, such as dizziness, muscle coordination issues and more.
- Cancer rehabilitation: Our team helps you recover from cancer treatment or surgery with nutrition counseling, exercises and speech therapy.
- Cardiac rehabilitation: Our Certified Cardiac Rehabilitation Program includes education, risk reduction and exercises to help you live better with coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure and other cardiovascular diseases.
- Ergonomics education and training: To help you understand your condition, control pain and prevent re-injury, we reduce the stressors of repetitive activities or tasks.
- Exercise classes: We offer Pilates, yoga, T'ai Chi and Zumba, a pool for aquatic therapy, a walking track, weight training and other exercise equipment.
- Lymphedema therapy: We have certified programs and medical-assistive devices to help restore function, relieve pain and reduce risk of infection.
- Migraine and headache services: We offer specialized pain management therapies and treatment for painful, chronic headaches.
- Neurological rehabilitation: We have special programs for stroke care and brain and nervous system conditions, including brain injury, multiple sclerosis (MS) and Parkinson's disease.
- Neuropsychological testing and counseling: Our team provides evaluations and treatment for problems with thinking, memory, language, mood and personality as a result of illness or trauma.
- Nutritional support: While promoting healing and physical wellness, our clinical dietitians order and prepare meals to meet your individual dietary requirements.
- Orthotics, assistive technology and adaptive equipment: We provide custom splints, braces and wheelchair fittings to help relieve pain or regain independence.
- Pain management treatments: We provide injections, manual therapy, biofeedback, electrical stimulation, therapeutic exercise, dry needling, aquatic therapy and heat therapy for pain management.
- Pediatric rehabilitation: We offer specially designed programs and facilities for children with a variety of temporary and long-term disabilities, developmental needs, sensory issues and other conditions.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation: We offer education and therapy for living better with lung and respiratory conditions, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma and cystic fibrosis.
- Orthopedic and spine programs: We have certified hand therapy and traction experts who relieve spinal pressure, perform total joint replacement rehabilitation and other therapies to ease pain and improve strength and mobility before and after surgery.
- Prevention programs: We have fall assessments and therapies designed to improve strength and prevent injuries, especially if you have conditions that put you at risk, such as osteoporosis.
- Sports injury rehabilitation: We offer therapy to reduce pain or recover from surgery for knee, shoulder, ankle and other joint and muscle pains using gait training, conditioning, strength training, electrical stimulation and more.
- Women's rehabilitation: We have programs for women at different stages of life, including rehabilitation for pelvic floor issues and incontinence, as well as after childbirth.
We offer physical therapy to protect, strengthen and restore muscle and motor function. Treatments are personalized to your needs and can include:
- Exercise instruction
- Gait training
- Manual therapy techniques
- Medical device instruction
- Pain management therapy
- Patient education
Our speech therapists diagnose, treat and help prevent disorders related to speech, language, cognitive communication, the voice and swallowing. Our skilled speech-language pathologists are certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).
Most patients are referred for speech therapy by a primary care physician or other specialist. You may also contact us directly at (603) 433-4015.
We also offer occupational therapy which focuses on improving daily activities, such as bathing, dressing, eating and home management. Our certified therapists develop plans to help you:
- Conserve energy
- Improve gross and fine motor skills
- Regain physical independence
- Strengthen upper extremities
- Learn to use assistive devices effectively
Children's Rehab Center
Our Children's Rehab Center brings together experts from a variety of disciplines to focus on optimizing your child's development. We consider all aspects—physical, emotional and social—when creating your child's personalized program of therapy.
Our team collaborates on your child's treatment, which may include:
- Occupational, physical or speech and language therapy
- Warm water aquatic therapy
- Balance retraining and postural education
- Visual motor retraining
- Coordination and motor planning training
- Sensory processing therapy
We coordinate treatment with your child's pediatrician to ensure continuity of care and communication. When appropriate, we may refer you to other specialists, such as ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctors, eye doctors, audiologists, neuropsychologists and educators.
Disabilities and developmental support
We treat children diagnosed with a wide range of disabilities and developmental conditions, including:
- Cerebral palsy
- Injuries to the brain, spinal cord, brachial plexus or cerebral vascular system
- Speech, voice and articulation disorders
- Receptive and expressive language disorders
- Autism, Asperger syndrome and pervasive developmental disorders
- Muscular dystrophy
- Genetic disorders and birth abnormalities
- Feeding disorders
- Dystonia disorders, such as torticollis
- Cephalic disorders, including plagiocephaly
Education and equipment
As part of our continuum of personalized care, we provide education to the entire family and arrange consultations for community-based rehabilitation. If your child needs adaptive equipment or assistive technology, we help identify the equipment you need and train you to use it.