Comprehensive postpartum care in Portsmouth
Once you deliver your baby, the postpartum period begins. This process, which usually lasts six to eight weeks, involving physical and emotional changes. At Portsmouth Regional Hospital, we are committed to helping you and your family adjust and function within your new family unit.
To learn more about our postpartum care services, please call (603) 559-4163.
Specialized care with ongoing support
After labor and delivery, you and your baby will receive abundant care and attention until you're ready to leave the hospital—and for weeks after you return home. Our family-centered postpartum services include:
- Quiet moments. We practice couplet care (also known as rooming in), so you and your partner can get to know your baby in a private setting. This means your baby stays with you in the room at all times, even during most examinations. We also offer daily quiet hours from 2:00pm to 4:00pm, so you and your baby can rest without interruptions.
- 24/7 breastfeeding support. Breastfeeding is a learned skill for both mom and baby. Our on-site lactation consultants, all board-certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners, help you breastfeed immediately after birth and throughout your hospital stay. After discharge, you can call (603) 433-4086 to schedule a breastfeeding consultation or find other resources.
- Access to donor milk. If your baby needs more breast milk than you can supply, we offer screened, pasteurized human milk from donors through Mother's Milk Bank Northeast.
- Restorative massage and integrative care. To help alleviate pain and promote healing, we offer new moms a relaxing postpartum massage each day of your hospital stay.
- Special meals. We help make your experience memorable by providing you and your partner a celebratory banquet to honor your baby's birth. We also provide snack baskets in each room, so you have the continuous nutrition you need to recover or breastfeed.
- Ongoing support and counseling. It's natural to feel overwhelmed with the challenges of motherhood, but you don't have to face it alone. We offer screening for postpartum depression, and therapy is available through our behavioral health program. You can learn more about the service offerings by calling (603) 559-4163.