Portsmouth’s first choice for emergency care
Portsmouth Regional Hospital's 24-hour emergency room offers the highest quality care that is close to home and when you need it most. In an emergency, minutes are critical for ill or injured patients. When you choose our emergency room, you and your family gain access to the most advanced technology, a highly trained and experienced staff, 22 exam rooms and the shortest ER wait times, on average, in the area.
A patient-focused ER, close to you
Our patient-centered care and emergency expertise make us the top choice for your ER care for many reasons, including:
- Level II trauma care
- Board-certified emergency physicians, nurses and clinical staff specially trained in trauma and advanced cardiac life support
- Nurses with advanced emergency nurse certification (CEN) and Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) certification
- Specialty rooms for gynecology, ear-nose-throat, trauma and cardiac patients
- Life-saving emergency heart care, including our certification as a nationally Accredited Chest Pain Center. Our LifeNet system allows emergency responders to alert the ER and activate the cardiac catheterization lab if a blocked artery is suspected. Our median "door-to-balloon" time—the interval between a heart patient's arrival in the ER and a procedure to open a blocked artery—is under an hour, placing Portsmouth in the top 10 percent of hospitals nationwide.
- Certification as an Accredited Primary Stroke Center, recognizing the quality and speed of our response to stroke
- Coordination with EMS providers to ensure rapid response and treatment of stroke patients
- An outstanding orthopedic surgical staff to treat sports injuries, falls and childhood accidents in addition to complex traumas
- Easy access to ancillary services not available elsewhere in the community, including neurological care, interventional radiology and a high-level Intensive Care Unit
- ER wait times you can view online, via text message (text "ER" to 32222 for current wait time) and in our ER waiting area, as well as in-room registration to reduce waiting
Get to the closest emergency room
If you think you or someone else is experiencing a heart attack, get help now.
Call 911 and go to a hospital emergency room immediately.
Primary ER services
Our ER provides specialized treatment day and night for wide-ranging emergencies, including:
- Heart attack
- Sepsis (a serious infection in the bloodstream)
- Bone injuries
- Mental illness and suicidal thoughts
Make sure you're familiar with your insurance plan's policy on emergency care. Portsmouth Regional Hospital provides emergency care to all people, regardless of health insurance or ability to pay.