Comprehensive Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Care in Portsmouth, New Hampshire
When you need rehabilitation after an injury, surgery, or illness in the Seacoast Region, the Portsmouth Regional Hospital physical therapy and rehabilitation team can help. We offer integrated inpatient and outpatient programs to help you relieve pain — and get you moving again. Our goal is to help you recover and restore fitness safely into your everyday activities.
Our interdisciplinary team is led by a physiatrist (doctor who specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation) who develops your plan. Your care comes from highly skilled and licensed physical, occupational, speech therapists, and other professionals with special training in a variety of condition-specific therapies. We tailor our programs to your needs using advanced technologies and the backing of a full-service, elite medical center.
With more board-certified clinical specialists in one facility than any other rehabilitation center in New Hampshire, we help patients of all ages and abilities, including infants, reach their full potential. We work hard to help you regain skills and improve your quality of life as soon as possible.
Adult and pediatric therapy requires a physician referral and takes place at the Center of Rehabilitation & Wellness. Outpatient hours of operation:
Monday – Thursday | 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Friday | 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Advanced Care with a Personalized Treatment Plan for Adults and Children
Portsmouth Regional Hospital offers physical therapy (PT) to protect, strengthen, or restore muscle and motor function. Treatments are personalized to your needs and can include:
- Exercise instruction
- Gait training
- Manual therapy techniques
- Medical device instruction
- Pain management therapy
- Patient education
We also offer occupational therapy (OT), which focuses on improving daily activities such as bathing, dressing, eating, and home management. Our certified therapists develop plans to help you:
- Conserve energy
- Improve gross and fine motor skills
- Regain physical independence
- Strengthen upper extremities
- Learn to use assistive devices effectively
Comprehensive Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Services
Our physical therapy and rehabilitation treatments and services are comprehensive. We treat a wide range of conditions and offer services that include:
- Balance and vestibular (inner ear) disorders: Balance retraining to help you gain control over symptoms such as dizziness, muscle coordination issues, and more.
- Cancer rehabilitation: To help recover from cancer treatment or surgery, including nutrition counseling, exercises, and speech therapy.
- Cardiac rehabilitation: Certified program that includes education, risk reduction, and exercises to help you live better with coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, and other cardiovascular diseases.
- Ergonomics education and training: To help you understand your condition, control pain, and prevent re-injury by reducing stressors of repetitive activities or tasks.
- Exercise classes: Discover Pilates and yoga to tai chi and Zumba. Take advantage of our warm water pool for aquatic therapy, the walking track, weight training, and exercise equipment.
- Integrative care: Whole-person wellness activities for healing mind, body, and spirit, including massage, Reiki, and other relaxation therapies.
- Lymphedema therapy: Certified programs and medical-assistive devices to help restore function, reduce pain, and reduce risk of infection.
- Migraine and headache services: Specialized pain management therapies and treatment for painful, chronic headaches.
- Neurological conditions: Special day programs for stroke and brain and nervous system conditions, including brain injury, stroke, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease.
- Neuropsychological testing and counseling: Evaluations and treatment for problems with thinking, memory, language, mood and personality as a result of illness or trauma.
- Nutritional support: Clinical dietitians order and prepare meals to meet your individual dietary requirements, while promoting healing and physical wellness.
- Orthotics, assistive technology, and adaptive equipment: To help relieve pain or regain independence, including custom splints, braces, and fitting for wheel chairs.
- Pain management treatments: Includes injections, manual therapy, biofeedback, electrical stimulation, therapeutic exercise, dry needling, aquatic therapy, and heat therapy for pain from injury or disease.
- Pediatric rehabilitation: Specially designed programs and facilities for children with a variety of temporary and long-term disabilities, developmental needs, sensory issues, and other conditions.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation: Education and therapy for living better with lung and respiratory conditions such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma, and cystic fibrosis.
- Orthopedic and spine programs: Certified hand therapy, traction experts to relieve spinal pressure, total joint replacement rehabilitation, and other therapies designed to ease pain and improve strength and mobility before and after surgery.
- Prevention programs: Fall assessments and therapies to improve strength and prevent injuries, especially if you have conditions that put you at risk, like osteoporosis.
- Speech and swallowing therapy:
- Sports injuries and prevention: To reduce pain or recover from surgery for knee, shoulder, ankle, and other joint and muscle pains, using gait training, conditioning for athletes, strength training, electrical stimulation, and more.
- Women’s rehabilitation: For special needs at different stages of life, including childbirth and pelvic floor and incontinence rehabilitation.
The Best Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation in the Seacoast Region
Physical therapy and rehabilitation at Portsmouth Regional Hospital involves education, training, and support every step of the way. Patients continuously give us high ratings in satisfaction for our:
- Advanced care with a personal touch. Because our program is hospital-based, you benefit from a therapy or exercise program tailored to your specific health needs. Our team includes certified rehabilitation nurses and social workers to help you manage your care from hospital to home.
- Individualized treatment plans. We offer dynamic, customized, and one-on-one evaluation, training, rehabilitation/physical therapy, and performance enhancement programs.
- Certified therapists working for you. Our therapists are highly skilled and certified in a variety of rehabilitation specialties, including hand therapy, lymphedema therapy, speech and language pathology, and more.
- Facilities dedicated to adult and pediatric rehabilitation care. The Center for Wellness & Rehabilitation offers the best in fitness equipment, training, and comprehensive therapies for adults and kids of all ages.
- Facilities designed for comprehensive rehabilitation. Our outpatient facility features an 840-square-foot gymnasium with a warm-water pool for aquatic therapy, a walking track, and a full spectrum of weight training and exercise equipment.
- Convenient location. Located at the Portsmouth Regional Hospital main campus, our therapy and fitness programs are conveniently located in the Seacoast Region.
Learn more about robotic-assisted surgery for total or partial knee replacement, and ConforMIS digital mapping to restore the natural shape of your unique anatomy.