Sports Medicine Experts in Portsmouth, New Hampshire
If you’re sidelined by a sports or exercise-related injury, get moving again with the Seacoast Region’s premier orthopedic and sports medicine specialists. Whether you’re an exercise enthusiast, athlete, or coach, let our team help you reach your goals. We offer expert advice, injury prevention and assessment, health and fitness training, injury treatment, and rehabilitation for individuals and teams of all ages and levels.
At Portsmouth Regional Hospital, we customize treatment plans to get every athlete, from novice to professional, back in the game. We provide individualized treatment plans from a multidisciplinary team of sports medicine specialists, orthopedic surgeons, exercise physiologists, physical therapists, certified athletic trainers, and other medical experts. Together, we can help you achieve peak performance and get back to the lifestyle you love.
Sports-Related Injuries and Conditions We Treat
From injury prevention to cutting-edge treatment, Portsmouth Regional Hospital evaluates, treats, and rehabilitates a range of conditions resulting from sports injuries. Common sports-related pain and injuries include:
- Ankle/foot pain and injury: ankle sprains, high ankle sprains, Achilles tendon injuries, stress fractures, ligament inflammation (plantar fasciitis)
- Back pain and injury: muscle strain, ligament sprain, disc disorders, fractures
- Concussions: traumatic impact to the head causing dizziness, drowsiness, blurry vision, and other symptoms
- Elbow pain and injury: ligament tears as in tennis or golf elbow, bursitis, dislocation, tendon ruptures
- Hip pain and injury: hip pointer or contusion, hip flexor strain, labral tears of cartilage, or quadriceps strains, dislocations, bursitis
- Knee pain and injury: anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) tears, meniscus tears, jumper’s knee (patellar tendonitis), patellofemoral syndrome
- Shoulder pain and injury: labral tears of cartilage, dislocations, rotator cuff tears, biceps injuries, nerve impingement, fractures
- Wrist/hand pain and injury: ligament tears, tendonitis, nerve injuries, stress fractures
Sports Injury Treatments and Services in Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Portsmouth Regional Hospital provides nonsurgical, surgical, and rehabilitative options designed to return you to your full ability as soon as possible. If you need surgery, we select a minimally invasive approach whenever possible, which means smaller incisions, faster healing, and less pain.
We offer the following nonsurgical sports-related injury treatments and services in the Seacoast Region:
- Sports-specific physical therapy and rehabilitation: As a first line of treatment or after surgery to restore strength, movement, and endurance. We help you manage pain and prevent further damage or re-injury with inpatient and outpatient programs at the Center for Rehabilitation & Wellness.
- Pain management therapies: Corticosteroid injections to reduce inflammation, trigger point injections for muscle pain, nerve stimulation techniques, selective nerve root blocks for pain, and platelet-rich plasma (PRP) for long-term healing.
- Specialized sports and injury prevention for specific athletes: Customized programs to help active people of all skill levels use proper techniques to avoid injuries. This includes programs designed for runners, golfers, cyclists, women athletes, and people 50 years and older.
- Concussion management: Our experienced doctors recognize the symptoms of concussions. We offer neurological evaluation and clearance to safely return to activity.
Sports Injury Surgery at Portsmouth Regional Hospital
The orthopedic surgeons at Portsmouth Regional Hospital perform minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery which involves small incisions and inserting a lighted tube into the joint. This allows surgeons to diagnose your condition and perform a variety of procedures on ligaments, bones, cartilage, or tendons.
Common sports-related surgeries we offer include:
- Cartilage reconstruction: Repair or replace cartilage loss or damage in the knees using innovative techniques.
- Elbow tendon repair: Reattach the distal biceps tendon to the lower arm bone.
- Knee ligament repair and reconstruction: Including the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), posterior cruciate ligament (PCL), medial collateral ligament (MCL), and the lateral collateral ligament (LCL).
- Joint replacement: Replace joint surfaces with artificial implants, such as shoulder, knee, and hip replacements.
- Meniscus surgery: Trim or remove torn cartilage in the knee.
- Rotator cuff shoulder repair: Reattach the tendon to the upper arm bone in a complete tear. In a partial tear, the surgeon trims and smooths the tendon and bone.
A Comprehensive Team Approach to Sports Medicine
You don’t have to be a professional athlete to be treated like one. At Portsmouth Regional Hospital our patients continuously give us high scores in satisfaction because we offer:
- Combined expertise of teams working for you. You benefit from shared clinical expertise board-certified primary care sports medicine physicians, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons, and licensed therapists working for you. In fact, we have the largest staff of certified clinical rehabilitation specialists in New Hampshire.
- Facilities designed for sports medicine rehabilitation. In addition to advanced imaging and diagnostics, we offer sports rehabilitation at our 840-square-foot gymnasium with a warm-water pool for aquatic therapy, a walking track, and a full spectrum of weight training and exercise equipment. .
- Community partnerships and expertise. We partner and support area high school, college, and university athletic programs.
- Comprehensive services, all in one place. From advanced diagnostics, to therapy and rehabilitation, to surgery and pain management programs, you can get everything you need in one place, from one team.
- Compassionate care throughout the journey. We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Convenient location. Located at the Portsmouth Regional Hospital main campus, our sports therapy and fitness programs are comprehensive and convenient.
- Care in a full-service hospital. If you need surgery, it’s at a hospital with all the services and amenities you need for a comfortable recovery.
Renowned spine care specialists use innovative technology to pinpoint and treat your back or neck pain, fast. Learn about our collaborative approach to spine care.