Shoulder Replacement Options in the Seacoast Region
If shoulder pain is keeping you from even the simplest activities, visit one of our joint experts. The orthopedic surgeons at Portsmouth Regional Hospital offer a variety of procedures for even the most complex cases, including repair of a previous shoulder surgery.
Joint replacement surgery at a full-service hospital gives you access to innovative services and comprehensive care should you need it. We’re recognized for joint replacement excellence by Healthgrades, a leading national online resource for helping patients find the right care. You get personalized care from a team dedicated to getting you back to doing what you love quickly and safely.
Shoulder Replacement — Improving Range of Motion
Shoulder replacement surgery, or shoulder arthroplasty, relieves pain from severe arthritis or injury and restores range of motion. It involves implanting part or all of a prosthetic (or artificial) ball-and-socket device made from metal and plastic.
We offer patients, even those with failed shoulder fracture surgery or rotator cuff tears, options for pain relief and improved function.
Candidates for Shoulder Replacement Surgery
Schedule an appointment with one of our joint experts if you:
- Experience shoulder pain or stiffness that interferes with your daily life
- Wake up at night due to shoulder pain
- Are unable to move your arms above your head or have limited range of motion
- Have tried nonsurgical treatments such as medicines, physical therapy, and injections, without success
Types of Shoulder Replacement Surgery We Offer
Types of shoulder replacement surgery we offer include:
- Total shoulder replacement: Where the ball of the arm bone and shoulder blade socket are replaced with prosthetic pieces. The procedure involves removing the damaged cartilage and bone and implanting the device.
- Partial shoulder replacement: Only the ball part of the joint is replaced. Partial shoulder replacement can be an option when the shoulder socket is still in good condition. It’s also called hemiarthroplasty.
- Reverse shoulder replacement: When the ball and socket are placed in reverse, or opposite position. This is performed when rotator cuff tendons are damaged or certain fractures make a total shoulder replacement impossible.
- Shoulder replacement revision: Repairs issues or unresolved pain from a previous shoulder replacement surgery.
Customized Shoulder Replacement in New Hampshire
At Portsmouth Regional Hospital, you get customized shoulder solutions and a team of experts dedicated to your health and restored activity. Patients choose us for:
- Innovative surgical technology. We use Exactech digital technology and tools for shoulder surgery. This provides precision, accuracy, and customization for a more exact fit and normal function.
- Comprehensive preoperative education. To help ease anxiety before surgery, we offer a Total Joint Replacement Orientation including an inside look at our facility and what to expect before, during, and after joint replacement surgery.
- Care throughout the journey. We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery. We provide inpatient and outpatient physical therapy and rehabilitation, all under one roof.
- Fellowship trained, board-certified specialists. Your care comes from board-certified doctors and orthopedic surgeons. Many of our doctors are also fellowship trained in their field.
- Free valet parking for hospital services. To make life more convenient, we offer free valet parking.