The Seacoast Region’s Preferred Provider of Pregnancy and Childbirth Care
If you’re looking for an OB/GYN team that understands the needs of today’s families, consider Portsmouth Regional Hospital. We offer a pregnancy and birth experience voted the “Best in the Seacoast” by community residents.
Our hospital provides the latest technology to ensure you and your baby are safe, and a unique selection of integrative and holistic services for mind, body, and spirit. Whether you need high-tech monitoring for a high-risk pregnancy or want a doula to guide you through a low-intervention birth, we have it all in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
Our pregnancy and birth services include:
- Prenatal classes and education
- High-risk pregnancy care
Why Choose Portsmouth Regional Hospital for Your Baby’s Birth
Our team helps you achieve a healthy pregnancy and plan an unforgettable birth. Families also choose us because:
- Our team is experienced. Our knowledgeable caregivers — including obstetricians, gynecologists, anesthesiologists, maternal-fetal medicine specialists, and birth doulas — work together to ensure your delivery goes smoothly.
- We’re recognized for our care. Portsmouth Regional Hospital has been named a Blue Distinction Center for Maternity Care by the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. This means we’ve met strict criteria for providing cost-efficient, high-quality maternity care.
- Your preferences matter. You know your body better than anyone and we trust your instincts. You choose how to experience labor and delivery, with access to integrative services including massage, acupuncture, and Reiki pain management.
- You and your baby are safe here. Because unexpected complications can occur during labor and delivery, it’s important to choose a birthing center that can handle emergencies at a moment’s notice.
Continuous care for your whole family. Portsmouth Regional Hospital offers specialized health services for all your family’s needs, from birth to old age. This includes pediatric emergency, hospital, and specialty care, and women’s health services for every stage of life.
The First Nine Months – Complete Prenatal Care for You and Your Baby
Our prenatal services keep you healthy, give your baby the best start in life, and help you become a confident parent. We offer:
- Birth center tours and childbirth classes. We offer personal, guided tours of our maternity unit so you know what to expect and can ask questions ahead of time. We also have a wide range of classes covering labor and delivery, mindful birthing, breastfeeding, and caring for your baby.
- Personalized birth planning. Choose from an array of care tailored to your needs. We offer low-intervention birth options such as nitrous oxide for pain management, wireless and water-submersible fetal monitoring, delayed umbilical cord clamping, and immediate skin-to-skin contact for you and your infant.
- Doula care from the start. Meet our birth doula team during monthly “doula teas.” Call (603) 559-4172 to learn more about doula care.
- Prenatal guidance. Take advantage of our free visits with a nurse who will answer your questions about pregnancy and birth, provide information about our maternity services and classes, and help you plan your unique birth experience. Call (603) 559-4163 to schedule an appointment.
- Prenatal lactation appointments. If you plan to breastfeed, you can begin learning important skills while you’re still pregnant. Our free prenatal lactation service offers breast assessments, comprehensive health and medication reviews, breastfeeding education, and help creating a personalized breastfeeding plan. Call (603) 433-4086 to schedule your appointment.
- High-risk pregnancy care. If you’re carrying multiples, have a medical condition, or have had previous problems during pregnancy or delivery, your OB/GYN will partner with a maternal-fetal medicine doctor to ensure the best possible outcome for you and your baby.
The Big Day – Personalized Labor and Delivery Care
When it’s time to give birth, you’ll welcome your baby in a safe, soothing environment. We offer:
- A private, peaceful experience. Our spa-like birthing suites allow you to labor your way, with the help of your caregiver or support person. We offer tubs for hydrotherapy, music therapy, aromatherapy, massage, and private bathrooms.
- Welcoming, family-friendly setting. With snacks available in our family kitchen and overnight sleeping accommodations for your partner, your family will feel at home throughout labor and delivery.
- Medical team ready for anything. Our team is here for whatever you need, 24/7. We have the latest obstetric technology and resources, including an anesthesiologist and dedicated operating rooms nearby for unplanned or emergency C-sections.
The Transition Home – Postpartum Care with Ongoing Support
You and your baby will receive abundant care and attention until you’re ready to leave the hospital, and for weeks after you return home. Our family-centered services include:
- Quiet moments. We practice couplet care (also known as rooming in), so you and your partner can get to know your baby in a private setting. This means your baby stays with you in the room at all times, even during most examinations. We also offer daily quiet hours from 2-4 p.m., so you and your baby can rest without interruptions.
- 24/7 breastfeeding support. Breastfeeding is a learned skill for both mom and baby. Our on-site, International Board-Certified Lactation Consultants help you breastfeed immediately after birth and throughout your hospital stay. After discharge, you can call (603) 433-4086 [click to call] to schedule an office or phone consultation or find other resources.
- Access to donor milk. If your baby needs more breast milk than you can supply, we offer screened, pasteurized human milk from donors through Mother’s Milk Bank Northeast.
- Restorative massage and integrative care. To help alleviate pain and promote healing, we offer new moms a relaxing postpartum massage each day of your hospital stay. Learn more about our on-site integrative services.
- Special meals. We help make your experience memorable by providing you and your partner a celebratory “banquet” to honor your baby’s birth. And we provide snack baskets in each room, so you have the continuous nutrition you need to recover or breastfeed.
- Ongoing support and counseling. It’s natural to feel overwhelmed with the challenges of motherhood, but you don’t have to face it alone. We offer screening for postpartum depression and therapy is available through our behavioral health program. Learn more by calling (603) 433-4980 .
Baby on the way? Chances are you have a million questions about feeding, sleep schedules, and babyproofing. Our classes help you feel confident and well-prepared.
Having a baby is one of the most important decisions you’ll make. So is choosing where to have your baby. Use our guide to compare your options and find your ideal birth center.
Illness and injury tend to strike when you least expect it. Learn when you should bring your baby to the nearest ER, and when it’s okay to wait for your doctor’s office to open.