Care for high-risk pregnancies in Portsmouth
If your pregnancy is considered high risk, you want an experienced medical team and a hospital equipped to handle the most complicated births. Whether you're carrying multiples or have developed gestational diabetes, you'll find expert care and support right here at Portsmouth Regional Hospital.
If you have questions about our high-risk pregnancy services, you can speak to a nurse 24/7 by calling (888) 421-1080.
Portsmouth Regional Hospital partners with with Elliot Hospital in Manchester, giving you access to some of the Seacoast Region's top maternal-fetal medicine specialists (also known as perinatologists). Together, we coordinate the special monitoring and care you and your baby need to stay healthy.
If you are experiencing a complicated pregnancy, you need more than just the latest technology. You also need peace of mind. Families trust us to provide:
- Access to leading specialists. Maternal-fetal medicine doctors from Elliot Hospital visit our campus to provide in-person consultations. They collaborate with a multispecialty team, including your OB/GYN, genetic counselors, experienced nurses and other professionals, to provide comprehensive care.
- Coordinated care from the start. You'll work closely with one of our perinatal safety nurses who coordinates your care and services needed before and during labor and delivery.
- Advanced pediatric services. If your baby has a condition that will require additional medical care during childhood, you can take comfort knowing we offer a full range of pediatric services, including emergency, hospital and specialty care on-site.
High-risk pregnancy conditions we treat
A pregnancy is deemed high-risk if a condition gives you and/or your baby a greater than normal chance of complications. These complications could occur during pregnancy, during labor or after delivery.
We provide maternal-fetal care for many conditions and situations, including:
- Carrying twins, triplets or other multiples
- Pre-existing medical conditions, including high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, asthma, heart disease, epilepsy, lupus and HIV
- History of miscarriage or other pregnancy complications
- Substance use during pregnancy
- Placenta problems, including placenta previa, placenta accrete or placental abruption
- Fetal growth or developmental problems
Comprehensive perinatology services
When you choose to have your baby at Portsmouth Regional Hospital, you have access to the highest level of perinatal care. Our services include:
- Preconception counseling. This service is available to individuals or couples who have concerns about having a healthy pregnancy or baby. We can counsel you on risk factors, such as advanced age, pre-existing medical conditions and a family history of genetic conditions.
- Genetic testing and counseling. If you have genetic testing, we'll explain the results and any potential risks there may be for your unborn baby. We'll also explain the benefits and risks of prenatal screening tests.
- Fetal diagnostic procedures. We offer tests to screen for birth abnormalities or inherited conditions. These include amniocentesis, nuchal translucency screening and chorionic villus sampling.
- Prenatal ultrasounds. We'll closely monitor your baby's growth and development during your prenatal care visits using the latest ultrasound imaging procedures.
- Hospital antepartum care. If you need to be hospitalized during your pregnancy, we'll do everything we can to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
- Delivery planning. Your doctor will work closely with our birth center team to help ensure a smooth, safe delivery—and to prepare for any medical care you or your baby may need immediately after birth.