Pregnancy care in Portsmouth
Our team at Portsmouth Regional Hospital is committed to ensuring you and your baby experience a healthy delivery. In order to achieve this, prenatal care and education are incredibly important. We provide a variety of resources to ensure you experience the healthiest pregnancy possible.
If you'd like to visit our birthing center to see if it's a good fit for you and your family, call our team at (603) 559-4163 to schedule a tour.
Complete prenatal care for you and your baby
Our prenatal care services keep you healthy, give your baby the best start in life and help you become a more confident parent. We offer:
- Personalized birth planning. Choose from an array of care tailored to your needs. We offer low-intervention birth options, such as nitrous oxide for pain management, wireless and water-submersible fetal monitoring, delayed umbilical cord clamping and immediate skin-to-skin contact for you and your infant.
- Doula care from the start. Meet our birth doula team during monthly "doula teas." Call (603) 559-4172 to learn more about doula care.
- Prenatal guidance. Take advantage of our free visits with a nurse who will answer your questions about pregnancy and birth, provide information about our maternity services and classes and help you plan your unique birth experience. Call (603) 559-4163 to schedule an appointment.
- Prenatal lactation appointments. If you plan to breastfeed, you can begin learning important skills while you're pregnant. Our free prenatal lactation service offers breast assessments, comprehensive health and education and helps you create a personalized breastfeeding plan. Call (603) 433-4086 to schedule your appointment.
- High-risk pregnancy care. If you're carrying multiples, have a medical condition or have had previous problems during pregnancy or delivery, you are experiencing a high-risk pregnancy. Your OB/GYN will partner with a maternal-fetal medicine doctor to ensure the best possible outcome for you and your baby.
You're pregnant and probably have many questions. What are the signs of early labor? How often should I feed my newborn? Do babies sleep on their stomachs or backs? Whether this is your first baby or your fourth, it's normal to feel overwhelmed by conflicting advice from well-meaning family members, neighbors and friends.
The maternity experts at Portsmouth Regional Hospital help you learn to trust your instincts and feel confident in becoming a parent. We offer personal, guided tours of our maternity unit so you know what to expect and can ask questions ahead of time. We also have a wide range of classes covering labor and delivery, mindful birthing, breastfeeding and caring for your newborn.
Our classes and support groups cover a wide range of topics suitable to first-time parents and parents in need of a refresher. We also have many weekend and evening options. We offer:
- Childbirth Education (one-day class or six-week series)
- Childbirth Express
- Mindful Birth and Babies
- Doula Tea
- Breastfeeding Basics
- Daddy Boot Camp
- Baby Basics
- Infant CPR for New and Expecting Parents
- Sibling Class
- Breastfeeding Support Group
We offer opportunities to familiarize yourself with our hospital and labor and delivery unit. Our childbirth education classes include a tour of the birth center. You can also schedule a personal tour by calling (603) 559-4163.