Portsmouth Regional Hospital is a 234-bed acute care hospital located in Portsmouth, NH serving the Seacoast region’s residents in New Hampshire, Maine, and Massachusetts. The private, tax-paying hospital is one of the area’s largest employers and is the only ACS Verified Level II Trauma Center on New Hampshire’s Seacoast. Portsmouth Regional Hospital is the Seacoast’s only comprehensive heart and vascular program, only 24/7 comprehensive neurosurgical and stroke clot retrieval and aneurysm coiling programs for both ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes. Portsmouth Regional Hospital, along with Frisbie Memorial Hospital in Rochester and Parkland Medical Center in Derry, is a member of HCA Healthcare’s Capital Division, one of the nation’s leading providers of healthcare services.
High Honors for Healthcare
Part of HCA, the nation's leading provider of healthcare services, Portsmouth achieves high honors for quality patient care and holds several prestigious accreditations. They include accreditation as a Chest Pain Center with PCI from the Society of Chest Pain Centers, as well as The Joint Commission's recognition as one of the Top Performers on Key Quality Measures™ and accreditation as a Primary Stroke Center.
Comprehensive Medical, Surgical and Mental Health Services
At Portsmouth Regional Hospital, you'll find a comprehensive range of medical and mental health services, including 24-hour emergency care and specialties such as:
- Oncology services through our Portsmouth Regional Hospital Cancer Care Center with certified Patient Navigators; the only hospital north of Boston offering minimally invasive interventional oncology/radiology tumor-targeting procedures
- Heart and vascular care through our accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI, multiple cardiac catheterization labs, as well as the only hybrid operating room and only cardiac surgery program on the Seacoast
- The only neurosurgery program and the only multispecialty neuroscience assessment clinic on the Seacoast
- Orthopedics, total joint replacement–including the anterior hip procedure–and spine care
- Extensive diagnostic imaging–3T MRI, coronary CT angiogram, full-service Endoscopy Center and more–and interventional radiology capabilities supported by our unique Radiation Right safety program
- A broad spectrum of inpatient behavioral health services, including medically supervised detoxification and 24/7 psychiatric assessment and referral
- Maternal/child health, lactation consultants and infant security system
- Diverse rehabilitation programs in our Center for Rehabilitation and Wellness
Our unique integrative care services–Reiki, massage therapy, relaxation techniques, music therapy, movement and exercise classes–support your body, mind and spirit in healing and health.
Always attuned to the comfort and needs of our community, we blend the convenience of personal attention, complimentary valet parking and an easily accessible location with the top-quality professional expertise that only the most skilled and highly trained medical, mental health and support staff can deliver.
Portsmouth Regional Hospital is dedicated to providing the highest quality of healthcare to our patients. We continually strive for clinical excellence and make patient safety our top priority. Learn more about our quality of care.
As part of our ongoing commitment to our patients, we work hard to help you address your financial responsibilities in a way that's fair and sensitive to your circumstances. Review our charity care and financial discount policy.
We're in your neighborhood, we care about your health and we take an active role in caring for the communities we serve. In addition to providing outstanding healthcare to our patients, we sponsor hundreds of health awareness programs and community events each year, and, as one of the largest employers in the area, we make a significant contribution to the Seacoast region's vibrant economy.
Learn more about how to submit a sponsorship request.
In 1884, citizens of Portsmouth, NH, came together to found Cottage Hospital, a 10-bed acute care facility located on Court Street and now known as The Aldrich House. The very next year, the new Portsmouth Hospital was built on Junkins Avenue near Mill Pond and served the area for more than a century, expanding and diversifying to meet the community's healthcare needs.
Between 1985 and 1987, Portsmouth Hospital trustees undertook an extensive long-range planning process, sold the facilities to Hospital Corporation of America and established The Foundation for Seacoast Health. In 1987, the renamed Portsmouth Regional Hospital and Pavilion opened on Borthwick Avenue in Portsmouth, with the Pavilion–now renovated as the Shoals Building–serving as the Seacoast Region's first and only inpatient behavioral health facility. Since 1987, the hospital has continued to expand–now to 220 beds. We deliver comprehensive medical and mental health services in comfortable and up-to-date facilities through a professional clinical staff of more than 300 primary care and specialty physicians with hospital practice privileges.
Portsmouth Regional Hospital is a private, tax-paying hospital affiliated with HCA, Inc., the nation's leading provider of healthcare services, headquartered in Nashville, TN, and encompassing hundreds of hospitals and freestanding surgery centers in 20 states and England. As part of HCA's Capital Division, we employ more than 1,000 full-time and part-time staff. In addition, dozens of people volunteer their time at the hospital each week.
We also serve our region through an active health and wellness outreach program that offers thousands of free or reduced-cost health screenings emphasizing early detection and disease prevention for area residents.
Portsmouth Regional Hospital is accredited by The Joint Commission, earning its Gold Seal of Approval®, and is licensed by the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services. In addition, the hospital holds these accreditations, certifications and approvals:
- Ambulatory Surgery Center accreditation from the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC)
- Bariatric Surgery Program accreditation, Level 2b, from the Bariatric Surgery Center Network (BSCN) Accreditation Program of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS)
- Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation program certification from the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR)
- Chest Pain Center accreditation with PCI from the Society of Chest Pain Centers
- Accredited Primary Stroke Center and recognition as one of the Top Performers on Key Quality Measures™ from The Joint Commission
- Echocardiography Laboratory accreditation from the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories (ICAEL)
- Hospital Laboratory accreditation from the Commission on Laboratory Accreditation of the College of American Pathologists (CAP)
- American College of Radiology (ACR) accreditation for our mammography unit
From HCA Healthcare, we've received designations as a Cardiac Center of Excellence, No. 1 ranking in patient satisfaction among more than 160 HCA Healthcare hospitals nationwide and Top Ten Peak Performer for our cardiac catheterization lab.
We've been recognized by the Institute for Safe Medication Practice (ISMP) with the Cheers Award and received multiple recognitions for excellent achievement in wound care and hyperbaric services from Wound Care Centers, Inc., as well as Best Nursing Environment awards from the New Hampshire Nurses Association and the Diabetes Education Recognition Certificate from the American Diabetes Association.