The focus of World Breastfeeding week this year is on sustainability. New evidence presented in the UK medical journal, the Lancet, confirms that optimal breastfeeding could save 823,000 child lives and add $302 billion to the global economy annually. Breastfeeding lays the foundation for good health for all children both in the short and long term, and also benefits mothers.
Breastfeeding around the world positively impacts poverty, hunger, good health and well-being, and responsible consumption and production.
At Portsmouth Regional Hospital's Seacoast Family Care Services we support breastfeeding by offering:
- Free prenatal lactation consults to discuss benefits of breastfeeding for all mothers and newborns
- Free Breastfeeding Basics classes to all pregnant mothers whether they deliver at PRH or not.
- 4 employed certified lactation consultants (IBCLC) with > 80 years’ experience between them
- A private room for our breastfeeding mothers to pump or feed their babies which is open to all employees and visitors
- Breast pumps and supplies for sale in our gift shop
- Free support to all breastfeeding mothers in our weekly “new moms support group” 10am every Wednesday